Need to cancel AA flight

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by vardievard, Oct 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. vardievard

vardievard Active Member

Status Points:
    Following the Chicago seminars I have decided that instead of a planned trip to the OMA, I'd like to go to LAX FTU. Unfortunately I have already made 2 one-way reservation on AA to OMA (had 2 CITI AA card statement credits so had to book this way to get fully "free" flight.

I've heard/read that if there are flight changes it is possible after a call to get tickets canceled at no cost. Fortunately my OMA-ORD_LGA flight has been changed, layover in ORD is 45 minutes later and return to LGA is 5 minutes later overall. When I tried calling and stating i wanted to meet someone in ORD which is no longer possible because of the change the agent told me sorry but there's nothing I can do...

Does anyone have advice of how i should approach my next attempt at the phone call? Keep in mind that only my return flight had the change so not only do i want to cancel that, i'd like to cancel my outbound as well even though it is 2 separate itineraries.

Thanks in advance!

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Schedule changes can allow for a refund without penalty, but they aren't offered for just ANY schedule change. Typically you'd have to see a change that goes over an hour.

Changes between 61-120 minutes allows a refund to a voucher on non-refundable tickets, changes over 120 minutes you can get a refund to your original form of payment. You can read about it in much more depth here: LINK.

If I'm reading your post correctly, your total schedule change is only 5 minutes? Don't think you'll get much traction with that.

marcwint55 and edekba like this.
  3. vardievard

vardievard Active Member

Status Points:
    yep i saw that on the AA site. if I've learned anything there are exceptions to every rule when it comes to airlines so i was hoping someone had experience like mine.

marcwint55 and edekba like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well in that case, best of luck to you! ;)

Sadly I don't think you're going to see an exception to this rule, especially with a 5 minute delay.

marcwint55, perryplatypus and edekba like this.
  5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You did not say when the flights were. If I were in your shoes, I would probably do the following:
    1. Call again. You might get an agent that is more "understandable" but it probably will not work.
    2. If that fails, change the dates of your flights to a date further in the future and hope for a larger schedule change.

marcwint55 and perryplatypus like this.
  6. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would'nt he still have to pay $150 to change a ticket to a further date?

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You are correct. I forgot the OP was on a non-refundable ticket. Award ticket travel dates can be changed at no cost.

marcwint55 and perryplatypus like this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have elite status with AA you might get lucky after a few calls. If not, it is highly unlikely that your ticket will be changed.

9. IPBrian

IPBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the above, how did it all work out?