Need to book 2 O/W J FF seats LIS-BOS - Lufthansa metal booked with CO miles best bet?

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Acker, Nov 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Acker

Acker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got to get back to BOS from LIS March 2012. I'm about to book 2 x 50k for J seats using CO awards. F would be nice but I don't want to burn the miles if J is adequate. (It will be Lufthansa A340-600 over the water). I'm not missing anything, am I? Using a one-way CO award for the LH is the way to go, correct?
    - Posted this at Continental as well - Thx.

2. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would think availability would make this decision for you rather than anything else.

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH J is a very nice ride. But if you can find F availability, treat yourself. I recently booked UA Miles for an LH F trip next year and they have a fairly good amount of availability for only 135000 R/T from USA to Germany. CO didnt have anything impressive available. Look at UA's website for award travel. I assume you can transfer miles to Mileage Plus from CO.

4. Acker

Acker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are business seats on the A340-600 so awful that I should spend an additional 17.5k for F? All the options that work for me seem to involve the A340-600. I considered getting myself to another airport but in the end it's just a flight home and flying to another airport to avoid the 340-600 seems stupid.

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    the J seats are perfectly fine. They may not lay down 180 degrees (they go to about 160) but its still a very nice seat and ride. the only ones that really seem to have "trouble" with J are those that are 6'6" or taller. I've flown LH J many times, and never had an issue with seat comfort and have gotten a lot of sleep on the overnight flights.

But for 17.5k miles I would move to F just for the experience and the impeccable service, not to mention the FCT access in FRA or FCL in MUC. Thats an easy decision in my book.

heres a link to my recent trip report on the FCT @ frankfurt, if you need any more convincing

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/lufthansaflyer/2011/10/26/frankfurt-first-class-terminal-visit/

6. Acker

Acker Silver Member

Status Points:
    You provided just the info I was looking for. Went ahead and booked 2 F seats LIS-BOS with a 3 hr 45 min layover in MUC - I've been eager to check out the lounge so it's perfect. After cashing in 135k I've 5 miles left in my account. Talk about cutting it close - Really happy with this result, thanks.

7. Alpha Golf
    Original Member

Alpha Golf Silver Member

Status Points:
    You made the right choice. Just returned from my first LH F trip, and it was absolutely superb, in every aspect (except landing too early.)