Need tips for booking LAX to Maui using AA miles...

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by booboo, Jul 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm a bit of a noob, and I could use a little help. I don't fly very often beyond the 50 minute southwest flight, so I don't have a lot of experience exploiting "perks" that may be available to me...

I'm planning to fly from LAX to Maui in mid November for my family of 3. I have 250,000 miles, and I'd like to fly Biz/1st class.
    BUT
    There are no "milesaver" (seats for 37.5kmiles) available, only 75k "anytime" seats - which I don't have enough miles for.

The rep from AA said that sometimes milesaver seats open up as the date gets closer, so to check often.

My question(s) are,

Does anyone have any experience with getting "milesaver" seats as the date gets closer?

Is there a way to move my miles over to another airline to try my luck there? (I'm not a fan of AA anyway).

Any advice in general??

2. jmui

jmui Silver Member

Status Points:
    They do sometimes become available as the date gets closer. I recently booked SFO-HNL Business/First MileSAAver but couldn't find any HNL-SFO availability for my return date (I booked week in advance). I checked again later, 4 days before my return, and noticed a bunch of open seats available. You could also try and see if there's availability on Hawaiian.