Need some spending quick to meet a minimum spend

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by andrew22013, Jan 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. andrew22013

andrew22013 New Member

Status Points:
    Reached the spg minimum spend months ago and received the points now through
    No fault of my own a plane ticket was cancelled and I am short perhaps a couple of thousand
    And believe they will take the points back if I do not replace the spend.

All I can think of is kiva, looking for any other suggestions. My constraints:
    1. I am in Cambodia , Amex is rarely accepted, and I have no short term spending needs.
    2. I will not be back in the USA for months, and then for just a short time. Any goods or
    Store/prepaid cards/0ther plastic cards sent to my us address whether by mail or by courier
    Is likely to be lost or stolen.

Ideal for me is something online prepaid or gift certificate in electronic form. Prepaid dollars
    For use at spg, Marriott, Expedia, American airlines would all be useful to me. Even better
    Would be something that I could refund for cash later, not for a credit back on the same Amex spg
    Credit cards.

Also do not have anyone that I want to send money to (such as amazon payments).

Final constraint: I have just over a month to get a charge or several charges posted.

Appreciate any ideas. Prefer not to do kiva as I am already doing charity work in Cambodia,
    And have some perhaps unfounded doubts about kiva that they will just disappear overnight,
    And some concern about the very High rates that the borrowers have to pay.

Thank you.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Amazon payments to a friend who will return the $$ to you
    But unlikely they take away the bonus

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't help with your actual question, but on the topic of Kiava interest rates here's some very recent discussion about that that perhaps clarifies the issue.

Welcome to MilePoint!

4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    gift card churning. Not very lucrative but you can buy a few egift cards that you can sell later.

5. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree... try Amazon payments first, then look and see if there are some gift cards online that you can purchase.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The OP is already aware of Amazon Payments and has ruled that option out:

7. chasingthepoints

chasingthepoints Active Member

Status Points:
    My best advice, sign up to TopCashBack. Use the link to go to Cardpool.com for 2% back, buy up every walmart ecode gift card so they're in your email. When you're ready, reuse the topcashback to cardpool and sell it back to cardpool @ 4% rebate

At the end of the day, you'd make 6% from TopCashBack. Let's say you buy $100 gift card for $97.50. You receive $2 back. When you sell that $100, at $92, you receive $4 back from TopCashBack. Your cost $97.50. Total TopCashRebate is $6, when you sell you get $92. 92+6 = 98. 98-97.50 = .50

You'd make $.50 for every $100, but at least you'd hit your spend remotely and not have to worry about physical mail or possible revoked points.

EDIT: Do Target instead, because it's 4.5% off the face value. $100 pay $95.5. Sell @ $92. Same Topcashback return. 98-95.5 = $2.50 profit for every $100

beaktor likes this.
  8. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suggested this a while back and it's very low risk and works really well.

Go to Walmart or Target and purchase a few laptops, iPads, whatever you need to meet your spend. Let your CC statement cycle to get your points, then go return what you purchased. The card companies do not account for this and therefore do not reverse your bonus points.

This is how I meet all of my min spend requirements - works like a charm.

iolaire likes this.
  9. Deal2020

Deal2020 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Buy amazon gift cards. It is all online, so fast and easy.

10. TravelScrounger

TravelScrounger Active Member

Status Points:
    What? No Vanilla Reloads? :)

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  12. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    As much I don't feel sorry for "the man" in this scenario, I can't help but feel karma will get the better of you in this scenario.

Just MHO

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  13. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Touche, I think many of the things we do as miles / points connoisseurs could be considered questionable and there's always the possibility for bad karma. It's the nature of the beast if you are going to play the game IMHO.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    "The man" would include me, as I am fairly certain that I own shares of both companies through mutual funds.

It also impacts everyone else who might need a legitimate return when the stores abandon liberal return policies due to abuse.

Besides that... Are there any Walmarts or Targets in Cambodia?

boondr likes this.
  15. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    No but all their stuff is made there.

16. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I understand where the downside is.

You buy something that is brand new and you return it as brand new which in turn is placed right back on the shelf to be sold as brand new again no more than 20-25 days later. Of course, I'm sure there're a few 50 cent transaction fees involved, but people buy and return things all the time out of buyers remorse. What defines the difference between that and what I'm doing?

I understand where you are coming from morally but I find it hard to believe that it would affect the shareholders especially in terms of Walmart. And if they change their return policy, I doubt it would have been the result of my returns.

How many of you have ever gone to Walmart or Target (and you weren't sure it was even purchased there) and returned something that you received as a gift or maybe you didn't have a receipt? I would consider that more harmful to companies than my original post.