Need some help with Lounges

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by manfromkrypton, May 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    Folks -
    I have the following itinerary planned, and wanted to see if people could provide some advice on the best lounges to hit up in these cities.

I am an AA Plat/OW Sapphire, and I have an Amex Platinum card, as well as the Priority Pass Select.

Day 1: ORD - LHR (Business class) at 940pm
    Day 7: LHR - AMS (BA Economy) at 4pm from T5
    Day 12: BRU - DEL (9W Business class) at 10am, arr at 940pm
    Day 13: DEL - CCU (9W Economy) at 9am
    Day 20: CCU - DEL (9W Economy) at 2pm arr at 5pm
    Day 21: DEL - ORD (AA Business) at 12.30am arr at 5am

If you have any other tips/suggestions, etc for this trip, would appreciate it. Its the first time I am ever doing a multi city trip like this.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:

Sounds like a fun trip, hopefully it's pleasure and not too much business!

Everyone has their own needs/wants/desires in a good lounge experience, so there's a lot of variables. That being said, here's what I'd do if I was in your shoes:

ORD-LHR - You didn't mention which airline you're flying (AA or BA?) and that changes the answer due to logistics. BA leaves from T5, which means you'll have access to BA's Terrace lounge. I've heard that despite moving to T3 two months ago, JAL is still operating it's lounges in T5. As much as I love JL, I've heard the lounge isn't that great. If you're flying AA then the choice is easy: the Admiral's Club between H/K. The club by G is quieter, but smaller and will be further from your departure gate.

LHR-AMS - Since BA functions out of T5 but still has flights leaving from T3 as well, you'd think that you'd have a few competitive choices. In my opinion, you just can't be BA's offering on its home court. CX in T3 isn't that bad, but fundamentally I don't think it's any better then BA's offering.

BRU-DEL - BA has an offering here, but I suspect you won't have access to it. Lounge access is only for Oneworld partner flights, and 9W is not a Oneworld airline. No worries though, 9W has a lounge facility in BRU which you'll have access to, and I hear it's one of the best in BRU.

DEL-CCU & CCU-DEL - Again, since these aren't Oneworld flights, no lounge access based on your status. You're in economy class on 9W too, so no lounge access there unless you have status with them. You'll have to rely on your Priority Pass. The website doesn't seem to work for me, so I have no opinions to give. I do know that a recent poster here on the AA forum stated that the website for Priority Pass might be out of date. She went to a lounge listed on her trip and found out the club had been closed for 3 years.

DEL-ORD - AA uses Kingfisher's new lounge facility, which only opened up a few months ago. Generally I've heard reviews are good. Showers, food, drinks. The usual. Perhaps you can let us know after your trip?

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the matter. I'm sure someone will have more to add! Good luck and enjoy!

sobore likes this.
  3. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    @DestinationDavid -
    Thanks so much for the feedback. I am indeed flying AA on Day 1, so assumed that AC was my only choice. That flight is always from the last gate at the end, so H/K lounge seems to be it.

The LHR-AMS leg is out of T5, and I've heard that the BA Galleries is the way to go (someone posted on FT).
    Do you (or anyone) know the lounge that 9W uses? Would love to see if I can find a review of it online.

Thanks again for this, and I will be posting a trip report at the end. I've never seen a trip report on FT or MP on 9W business, so I am sure people will want to hear about that, as well as the KF lounge.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No problem, always happy to share. :)

Two things I would say in response:

1. Some LHR flights have been leaving from the L gates. It's quite a hike from the Flagship Lounge, but only half as bad from the H/K AC.

2. 9W has its own lounge at BRU, it's a bit of a hub for them. Here's a link to their offering and a thread on FT.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just saw an article about the world's most luxurious lounges in pictures. Jet's BRU lounge made the list.

6. pfdlt

pfdlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    With your first flight on AA arriving in LHR in Business, you will have access to the AA Arrivals Lounge in Terminal 3.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. I just gave yo your first like.

8. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA's Arrivals Lounge for its daytime arrivals at T-3 is just not a bad option at all. Unlike years past, they now serve a full English breakfast buffet (incl. scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, baked beans), hot rolls & brown sauce for bacon butties, as well as a variety of breakfast rolls/croissants, yogurts, cereals, light sandwiches, juices, sodas, filtered coffee, and an expresso/cappucino/hot chocolate machine. One really handy feature of AA's Arrivals Lounge at T-3 is that they've got a free valet pressing service (hang your stuff to be pressed within the large door of the shower suite they'll assign you to, and by the time you're done w/ your shower, your pressed clothes are ready). They'll supply you with dental kit, razor kit, etc. if needed as well. Staff always friendly and helpful.

After you leave the baggage claim area, as you enter the arrivals hall, just past the gauntlet of people waving signs to meet up with arriving travellers, turn right and follow the yellow/black sign to "Airline Lounge" to an elevator for the AA Arrivals Lounge on the 2nd floor.