Need some help quickly

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by wdlyonsjr, Jan 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. wdlyonsjr

wdlyonsjr Active Member

Status Points:
    I am living in Lima, Peru. It's important to me to get back to see a family member I might not see for a while. I need to fly back to the states (Phoenix, AZ) within 24-48 hours for about a week. I have used the matrix software and the best I can come up with is about 945 into Tijuana within the 300 mile radius. Can you some of you out there who are way better at finding these deals help me out? At this point I don't care the airline. Thank you.

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are several flights/carriers that will get you into PHX in 48 hr (Feb. 1) from LIM but starting at $1,300

One stop.
    UACO: LIM-IAH-PHX roundtrip: $1,152 + $333 taxes & fees = $1,485 USD per person

Two stops:
    $1,038 + $313 taxes & fees = $1,351 USD per person

These flights will get you into PHX, which I think you are interested in, but there is nothing cheaper, even including nearby airports.

http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewFlightSearchResults?null&retrieveParams=true&z=31a0&r=uv

sobore and deant like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have miles?

deant likes this.
  4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Also checked and can not see anything cheaper. The problem you will have flying into TJ is then getting to Phoenix.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    $1176 to LAX, which might be a better choice than Tijuana if you want to drive the remaining distance.

6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every time I have done stuff like this to save a little on the airfare, I have always been reminded that ground travel is slow and tedious. An example is when I flew into KUL in 2000 and took the train to Singapore. HaveMiles is correct that LAX may be more hassle-free in getting to Phoenix than Tijuana would be (remember: there would be one more set of inspectors to clear, on a sensitive border). But, driving from LAX would quickly eat up the differential in costs from the fares into Phoenix that NYCUA1K found.

It's a long haul from Lima no matter what, and if you add in a few hundred miles of ground commute, you'll be totally worn out By The Time You Get To Phoenix. (Sorry, but you know I just had to work that phrase in there!)

With an apparent stressful or at least emotional family situation, I am not sure you want to go into it having used up all your energy on the journey. I am not trying to minimize the importance of saving money, just saying in this case you may not want to save every last dime if it would wear you out.

7. CMX

CMX Silver Member

Status Points:
    TJ (San Ysidro) border wait times can be brutal without sentri. http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you need a visa for the USA or Mexico? I would avoid going through Mexico unless there is absolutely no other choice.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  9. wdlyonsjr

wdlyonsjr Active Member

Status Points:
    No I am a us citizen....Thank you everyone for your help