Need Some Help? Got A Question?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Pizzaman, Sep 20, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hey, there. Sometimes it can be hard to figure out where to get started. I'm hoping to make that a bit easier by starting an open thread. Ask me a question. If I don't know the answer, I'll find someone who does.

Don't worry whether your question fits here. Just ask it and we'll take care of the rest!

If you're reading this thread and happen to know the answer to a question, jump in!

edekba and Dublin_rfk like this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great idea!

Pizzaman likes this.
  3. Begue70

Begue70 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I am very new to this and am wondering if I am on the right track and where I should "go" next. Brief description... Have had an AMEX gold business forever. Historically have just used points for gift cards to shop, buy a plane ticket here and there, etc. We currently have 191,000 Amex points. Just upgraded this to a platinum for 50K points once we meet spending requirements. My husband just go a Sapphire Reserve with 100K points (already made requirements). Husband also just got a Premier Gold with a 40K bonus (just made requirements). We love the gas and grocery bonus on that one. Me (wife) has a Delta Amex Gold. Also have a separate Premeir Gold Amex (40K bonus met) and a Marriott rewards (totally regret getting that one due to I'm not sure I like points going to one hotel that we rarely use. Don't know what I was thinking there). For miles I currently have 85K with Delta, Husband has 25K. Goal is a family trip to Europe (3 kids 14-21). Feel like I should have gotten a Hilton or something because I stay in those all the time for horse shows, etc. Should we stop there? Or should my husband get a Delta Amex Gold or Platinum? Or is there another that is recommended. We put anything that can go on a card, on a card and pay balance monthly. Thank you for any help.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Begue70, sounds like you're definitely on the right track. Given your current balances, I think it's probably best to focus on Delta for your overseas flights, even though they could be pricey. You can transfer your AMEX MR points to Delta to secure mileage tickets when you're ready.

Another option would be to use those AMEX MR points with a partner like Virgin Atlantic or AF, but it'll take longer to get 5 tickets if you don't use your available Delta SkyMiles.

Also, keep in mind that finding 5 tickets on the same flight to Europe will be tough. Since the kids are older, you might consider splitting on to two flights.

Since your husband got the Chase Sapphire Reserve, it might make sense to apply for another card that earns Chase Ultimate Rewards. You can pool points between you and your husband, and you can transfer those points to a variety of hotel chains for your European trip.

More questions?

Happy to help.

Begue70 likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a family of 5 in Europe I say go AirBnB/VRBO/whatever and pay cash for the lodging while focusing the points on flights. You'll need 2 rooms to make the hotel work and at that point the cost savings are likely to erode and the ability to rent an apartment somewhere is nice IMO.

I do agree with Pizzaman's suggestion of focusing on SkyMiles for the TATL flights. The Chase points cannot go there, of course, but maybe focus on DL/AmEx right now and look at the Ultimate Rewards points for a future trip. Or to pay the AirBnB bill, even if that's not the ideal value it should still be 1.5 cents/point.

Begue70 likes this.
  6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Wandering Aramean brings up a good point about room capacity in Europe. Some hotels can be difficult to get 3 ppl in a room, so a party of 5 will represent a challenge.

If you absolutely need to use points for everything to save cash, he's right about the Chase UR. However, you can get a much better value transferring them to a travel partner. I'd hold them for a future trip.

If you're not going to use Chase UR points on this trip, focus on getting another Delta card and hammering away on bonus categories for your AMEX and Delta cards.

Begue70 likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe.

I'm assuming that the family of 5 is going to travel in economy, mostly based on the number of points accrued right now and what it would take to get 5 in business on one trip. Depending on season and destination a sub-$1000 r/t flight to Europe is not all that hard to come by, suggesting that the value of those Chase UR points is in the 1.25-1.75 cents range. The Reserve card from Chase makes UR points worth 1.5 cents straight up on the redemption and without pesky availability issues. That they can be used for the specific need at this time also adds some value.

I know that redeeming CC points for bill offsets is not always the popular move but for an economy class traveler it should be considered far more often. Especially if one can also earn for travel spend on the card; 4.5% cash back is a great value proposition IMO.

Begue70 likes this.
  8. Begue70

Begue70 New Member

Status Points:
    Do ya'll think my husband should get a Delta Amex (gold or platinum?), for the sign on bonus? Or should we stop where we are at? As I said, the only regret is that Marriott (although, I'll get 80K points, I just don't know how useful that will be in my life). I just mainly want to offset the cost of the trip, spend less on flights OR lodging, so we can spend more on actual trip. Also, hoping to go in June, so flights will be at a premium. Also, as I wait for the bonus's to post, I know i'm losing out on flights... Will most likely be December before everything posts. Thank you so much for all of your help! :)

satman40 likes this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott/ SPG points are great, and can be used at an nearby hotel arriving or departing from the airport.

We attend several conventions, so stay at the convention hotels, but the last night is often spent at the airport hotel,, sometimes we go out to the local airport, and use the hotel for an early departure, and parking.

Counsellor and Begue70 like this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    If you want to go next June then you're likely going to need more sign-up bonuses. Assuming you're disciplined enough to pay off the cards, then yes, you should apply for more Delta credit cards. If it's a June a few years from now, I'd still apply for the Delta cards if you pay them off, but you might get there via spend without annual fees on multiple cards.

Begue70 likes this.
  11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh, and I think you'll find a use for the Marriott points. There are plenty of Marriott hotels that can accommodate 2 rooms for a family of 5 in the US with connecting options. Less so in Europe for all chains, but I doubt they'll go to waste. :)

Counsellor and Begue70 like this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Specifically for economy flights (and some other areas), sure. But, I think you can find plenty of hotels where you can get a much higher value than that, and likely for families of 5 (though not so much in Europe).

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'll assume you're suggesting Hyatt as the transfer vehicle here. Getting better than 1.5 cent/point is relatively common in that program but when you need to book 2 or 3 rooms to accommodate the whole group rather than a single apartment somewhere I believe the numbers skew. Put differently, if I can get an apartment for $300/night that's probably better than two Category 4 hotel rooms, even if the average cash rate on those rooms is closer to $225/night (which is what I'm seeing for Cat4 results in recent results on Hotel Hustle). Yes, the straight points value is lower, but that doesn't mean it is a worse deal.

If I can get a good lodging option for $X then are the points valued based on redeeming for that price or the other, higher price from a different option I also have available? Somewhat like valuing points for air travel based on full fare F seats rather than what you'd pay anyways.

Also, FWIW, average cpp rates by Hyatt category for searches in the past 45 days:
    1 2.529395511
    2 2.197223258
    3 1.792437981
    4 1.710023486
    5 1.531198768
    6 1.611428163
    7 2.809111527

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  14. Begue70

Begue70 New Member

Status Points:
    worst case, I can always just pay for the Europe trip and use all these points/miles to offset (or pay for) a spring break college tour for my daughter. This is certainly very confusing!! But, I am going to try and learn! :) I really appreciate all the advice! BTW, just got my husband the Delta Plat. Amex, with 70K bonus. So, once all the bonus's come through, I think I should be good (plus regular spending). Now the worry will be if any seats are left. But, I will leave that problem for later! I am also regretting bumping our trusty gold amex to the platinum. The bonus will be good, but terrible points earning. We will most likely do most spending on the Gold Premier and the Chase.

Pizzaman likes this.
  15. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    @Pizzaman, is the purpose of this thread to be a starting point, and then move the content to the appropriate forum so it can get more traction?

ETA: And I'm not talking about the super-merging that appears elsewhere.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Pizzaman likes this.
  16. PhoebeMalroy

PhoebeMalroy Member

Status Points:
    just wanna say hi to everyone, i'm new here. I love to travel with my family and friends. This is such an awesome site I've only just found out about it around 3 days ago, wish I'd knew about it earlier! Anyway hope your all well and I'll see you guys around

Pizzaman likes this.
  17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sorry for missing this question earlier. It's a really good question that doesn't have a good answer yet. We're discussing things like trimming the forum tree and radically changing firm structure.

We also had a discussion about using tech to make things like this more visible and searchable on the front page.

Most definitely a work in progress but we knew for starters we need to make ourselves more accessible to people with questions who may not like using a forum.

I think it's safe to say we're not in the super-merging business. :)

18. thyroxine

thyroxine New Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I'm looking for a little bit of advice for my next card apps.

Right now, I have 6 cards. 4 of which were opened this year.
    1. Citi Diamond Select (8/2009)
    2. Discover IT (12/2009)
    3. Chase Freedom Unlimited (12/2015, pc from slate)
    4. Chase Freedom (12/2015)
    5. Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select (1/2016)
    6. Chase Sapphire Preferred (6/2016)
    Also, added as an AU on my parent's 30 yo discover card.​

So, I'm at 4/24, per chase's rules.
    I currently have about 120k UR. Looking to build that more. Need at least 160k for a trip I'm planning this summer.

I applied for the Sapphire Reserve and Ink + biz card on 8/23/16. Was denied for both. Reasons being too many recent requests for credit. On recon call, they mentioned that I had recently requested a credit limit increase on my freedom unlimited and that I had just opened the sapphire preferred. They also mentioned the high number of HPs (11) on my equifax, although most of these are from non-CC sources (new verizon account, new car paid cash, new cox account, federal medical school student loans, then 2 HP for CSP and Ink)

My next application was going to be for the Sapphire Reserve and Ink + biz card again as it has been 90d since opening the CSP. My logic is that if I can't get both, I'd rather the Ink because of the vast manufactured spending potential with that card. Even though the bonus is less, the long-term value is much greater.

My questions are:

1. at 4/24, is it possible to get both CSR and Ink by applying same day?
    2. when is it safe to reapply? it's been 45 days since last denial, 150d since CSP opened

19. Flydini

Flydini New Member

Status Points:
    Hello..I am looking for some suggestions on what to do..I have the Amex Gold and thinking of jumping in on this deal for Business Gold for the miles. We do have a business. Can it be used for all kinds of purchases or just business related? What should I do with personal Amex Gold? Hate to keep paying the annual fee for 2 amex. Can the business card totally replace the personal card? Thank you!

20. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    iNK and SPG is my 2 choices, depends on which airline you want to fly.

Chase ask me once about why so many cards, my reply it was for the perks..

As for an increase in CL, just lower another card, I am only going to charge so much, and each month it is on autopay..

If you want to go over the 5/24 develope a banking relationship and you will have no problem.

21. mrmaps

mrmaps New Member

Status Points:
    Have a ton of Chase points and was using United but I am traveling on a route that is mainly Alaska. It looks like my only way in to the one world alliance from chase is via british airways. But they don't seem to connect to alaska or to very many American flights via the Avios point system. I keep thinking I am missing something. I was thinking that the individual airline awards programs would be better than going through the chase ur. Can anyone help make these chase points useful on American and Alaska?

Cheers,

MM

22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If the awards are available at the Saver level from Alaska Airlines then they typically (but not always) are also available to partners, including BA and AA. If the awards are only showing at "Standard" or elevated rates then typically they do not pass through to partners.

23. Abroaders

Abroaders Member

Status Points:
    Hey Ed, just wondering if there is a way to post the Home For The Holidays donation link without having ten posts on IF first. One down :)

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  24. LexMcNulty

LexMcNulty Member

Status Points:
    Hi there.. I'm planning travel in with my family . And I still don't have any idea where I bring them. Can you help me to give some suggestions. This is my treat to them this coming Christmas. Thank you and have a great day.

25. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I plan on buying my wife something for Christmas, and I do not have any idea what she wants.

Can someone take a guess as to what she might like..

I might buy her a lottery ticket..if she win it would be cool :cool:

Dublin_rfk likes this.