Need some advice on getting to 1K from 1P

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by GreekDeno, Jun 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm 1P and have been for a couple yrs. Based in DEN. I've always gotten 1P on segments and usually the last couple weeks of December. I'd really like to get to 1K this year, but I'm only at 19k miles on 25.5 segments so far. I travel every 3 weeks for work, but it's a short 500 mile trip. I also usually travel once a month for vacation (lots of friends/family on the west coast). Planned trips so far are LHR, PDX, CLT next month, Greece in Sep, and obviously my work travel. I think I need a MR, but even then I don't know if I should shoot for segments or mileage or be content with 1P. I'll get 1P again, but again would really like 1K. Thoughts?

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Before anyone can give you an educated answer, would need to know a few more details:

With your planned travel, how many EQM and segments would you have at the end of the year?
    Do you typically take more than 1 international trip a year?
    On your personal trips, especially international, do you travel alone or with someone?
    Where does your work travel tend to take you? Hub to hub flights or other out of DEN?

With the information you've given us so far, my gut is that you'd be almost as well off at the 75K CR-1 earning level as at the 1K. You'd have the CR-1 earning power for your domestic segment upgrades, priority other "standard" 1Ps for UDUs, and no big MR costs. Whether to get there on EQM or segments, though, will completely depend on your answers to the above.

Of course, if you want to do more international awards, then the SWUs become more important, along with the higher priority of 1Ks

3. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ballpark 44 more eqs (total 79), 48k more eqm (total 68k).
    Usually 2-3. I'd prefer more, especially long weekends
    85% alone although the Greece trip will be with others.
    Primarily west coast for work, personal. Usually direct flights. KS is my every three week spot.

If I shoot for segments I have to take UA metal to LHR, ATH, any other int'l trip this year which will probably cost more than going with a *A partner where I get eqm. 120 eqs is going to be hard to do economically.

4. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm far from the ultimate expert, but from what I'm seeing, I'd say go for the EQM qualification, shoot to hit 75K as quickly as you can so you have CR1 earning power, then if you see some attractive mileage runs later, based on miles not segments, then grab a couple of them. From Denver, I really like DEN-(LAX/SFO)-JFK-(LAX/SFO)-DEN for about 7K EQS. You can do overnight turns, and can be gotten around $400 or so with decent regularity. Not great on PPM, but efficient and comfortable on the PS flights, especially if you upgrade to business. (And if you do a same-day turn with a different returning CA airport, i.e., DEN-LAX-JFK-SFO or SFO-JFK-LAX, you can often use 1 upgrade for those three segments - shhhhh).

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're going to end up around 68k, I would suggest going for the 75K mark, as next year that will make a difference over other 1Ps.

In the autumn months, look at doing a mileage run to Europe (from DEN, that's 10k EQM). I say in the fall because historically, there have been some pretty good fares to Europe. Several years ago, you could get a T-class fare for around $500, but I think an $800 ticket nowadays is a victory.

Remember, you do have the Lufthansa option out of Denver, but the bad part is that you would be in Lufthansa Economy Class for 10-12 hours, which isn't a joy at all.

If you really want 1K, I would add two more European trips. But if it's only going to be 68k, I would look into doing something via Houston on CO to get the extra 2k miles (or so), because you'll need every mile you can get.

6. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Without EQM promotions, I sometimes have to fly 20 - 25000 miles in MR's to make 1K. I try to find the cheapest runs, but I value getting it accomplished by spacing it out during the year instead of waiting until Nov. or Dec. I went last week -- it cost a little more than normal, but I did not have much travel this month, so I wanted to keep on track. I find it easier on my rear and my wallet to keep plugging away at my goal of 1K instead of trying to cram in the miles at the last minute.

Scottrick likes this.
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I started college I had to do one transcon a year just to keep 2P. But in the last year or two I've been traveling more and I needed one transcon to reach 1P. This year, with weddings across the country, future in-laws in Texas, and 2-3 international trips, I'm flying by 1P. But it will take 25k in MR or so to get as far as 1K. I saw this coming and booked several MRs for the winter season as early as October last year. I didn't get to fly all of them due to weather, but at least I'm well on my way despite the current UA drought (at least for flights originating in SEA). On the other hand, the merger with CO has been sweet given that almost everything is a MR when you connect in IAH coming from SEA.

Planning is key. Know how much you're going to fly, and take every opportunity to book MRs when you can find them, even six months out. Personally I didn't want to go every weekend or to the same place every time, nor do I have that much time. And when I can I turn them into mini weekend vacations. What if you end up with more MRs than you need? Since I'm more concerned with status than redeeming miles--though that might change--I don't want more than 100K EQM. Fortunately, when you book six months out, there are often lots of schedule changes IME that you can use as an excuse to refund the trip.

8. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the first year that I will hit 1K - I booked a bunch of cheap runs last Nov for Jan and Feb of this year which also augmented my business travel, as well as my normal yearly travel to visit friends and family scattered around the US.

I ended up finding some really good deals and received some e-certs and vdb vouchers along the way which help offset the cost. I turned each run into fun trips and even friends of mine went along for the ride.

I have one more run planned for Sept - but that is it, which one of my friends who is trying to move up in status is on as well. All of my other trips that I booked were not runs, just good deals (definitely not MR worthy, but considering the location, very good fares). I used the beginning of the year when it was cold and dreary to do runs to warmer and sunnier places, and have pretty much traveled just for work or to see friends not counting the runs.

I am liking all the new changes for 1P. I was planning to stop once I hit the 75K mark, but then I had to book more travel which put me at the 1K mark once I return. If the fares remain where they are, I do not see myself hitting 1K again next year, just maintaining 1P.

9. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all very much for your advice. Sounds like 75k is my target unless I can get some great deals. To clarify a couple things: Do eqs only count on UA metal, not CO or anybody else? And do vdb vouchers count towards eqs, eqm's? So you'd get your original flight at the later time/date plus free miles on the flight you didn't have to pay for, correct?

10. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi. You can earn EQMs/EQSs on all *A flights, however, make sure you look at the booking class rules on the UA website to make sure you earn full credit. Not all airlines give 100% credit based on fare class. http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1177,00.html You earn full credit on UA, US, CO and my AC and LH flights also credited at 100%.

In regards to the VDBs, yes, you use the VDB to "pay" for your flight and you receive EQMs/EQSs. That is for a Type B voucher, I believe the DBC free vouchers no longer exist, which you do NOT earn EQMs/EQSs. DBC Free is just a free ticket which does not earn miles.

11. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    To clarify the point about earning miles with AC -- most cheap tickets WITHIN CANADA earn very little, if any, miles. If you fly over the border, in either direction, with them then the rule about the cheap fare thing doesn't apply, you'll get the miles.

12. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this a new policy? Last year I needed segments and went to Greece for Christmas. When I called UA twice they said eqs's are only credited on ua metal so I had to pay more for a UA ticket

13. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew over the border to/from YYZ from ORD. I guess that is why I received 100%.

14. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? Which airline were you trying to fly?

15. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds to me like the agent who said that was another one of those agents in India who has no clue what the rules really are. I've gotten UA EQM's on all sorts of *A carriers.

16. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    iirc LH had a little cheaper fare. Both UA people I spoke with said EQM's are credited on *A, but EQS's are only credited on UA metal.

17. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a little confused. Both segments and miles for LH post to UA. When I flew LH this year, I flew 3 segments with them and received credit for both miles and segments.

When I look at my MP summary, I have 64 EQS - 47 on UA and 15 with flights on Partner Airlines and 2 bonus promos for booking codes (prob from when I took a VDB and was booked into Y or F). My LH, AC, US (I believe) flights are included in the 15 Partner Airline flights.

18. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know why I didn't research this last year on ft. Fortunately it wasn't a huge difference, but money is money either way. Thanks for clarifying.

19. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not than I am expert or anything... :) But you are right, money is money.

Good luck with your quest and keep us updated.

20. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just look on UA site under Earn Miles and only then, if you still have questions, ask UA.
    http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1177,00.html

21. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thought I'd update you all and seek some more advice especially given the recent news on mp changes. I'm at ~59k miles ytd. Status will not happen on segments. I have a guaranteed (assuming nothing crazy like me getting fired, etc) 10k work miles left so I'll have to find ~6-7k miles in vacation trips before year end. I think I can do that and still get a lot of ski days in come winter :)

Now the new question is being premier plat is nice, but I think I can get to 1k next year with some better planning, early in year travel. Any reason not to shoot for 1k given how overweighted the benefits are to 1k's? Or should I be content with plat?

22. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hiya. What does your travel look like for 2012 and do you think you are going to hit 1K on business travel alone, or are you willing and want to do MRs or have other trips planned to get to that threshold?

The main differences (not all) on paper is 75% RDM bonus (Plat) vs 100% RDM (1K) bonus, the 6 SWUs and the CPU clearing time - 96 hours vs 72 hours. Both have free SDC, so no difference there.

2012 At A Glance

I guess only you can answer what you would be happy with. I know, not much help. :)

canucklehead likes this.
  23. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi GreekDeno,
    Not sure I would use the term "overweighted 1K benefits", but if you see it that way go for it. If I read your post correctly, you have 59K + 10K business coming up. That leaves you 6K to come up with for the Premier Plat (not sure if we are now calling this PP now or not???). But if you want to hit 1K you are talking about coming up with 31K miles, correct? That's a lot of time and money to me, but it can be done.
    Am I understanding this correctly?
    John

24. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did my first MR way back in Nov. 2001... Mucho miles flying IAH-EWR-HKG and back. Surprisingly, fares are about the same price now as then. That one flight bumped me up an entire status level. (Plus with all the bonuses offered at that unique time it was a point bonanza)

25. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless my job significantly changes I will not make 1k on business travel alone. I would like to travel more internationally next year so I can see myself getting it, but I said that around this time last year. I'm willing to do a mr or more than likely a mj so I can experience a new place for a day or two.