Need rec for browser - tired of ff updating without permission

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by estnet, Apr 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Firefox asks me if I want to upgrade and when I don't approve it just ug's itself at some random time :( Maybe I'm a control freak but I'd prefer to make my own decisions, so....
    On a windows pc I have IE and chrome and ff. I could just delete ff, but I'm wondering if I should try some other browser. Any recommendations?

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use Waterfox, and love it. This browser uses Firefox, but removes all of FF's annoying features. You must leave FF in your system to make Waterfox functional.
    https://www.waterfoxproject.org/

NYCUA1K and estnet like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link to Waterfox, which appears to be the most stable version of Firefox for 64-bit machines that I have ever used! Every other version of FF (e.g., one named "Nightly") I have used so far on my 64-bit AlienWare running Win 7 has had the annoying feature of getting progressively unstable the longer I ran it, until it ultimately crashes or gets so unstable (flickering display) that I would have to restart it. Occasionally, the browser would crash and along with it the entire system, and I would get the dreaded blue screen. Since I installed Waterfox this morning and updated the drivers for my AMD graphic display unit, I have had the best browsing experience I have ever had on this system. I hope this apparent fix will be permanent and if it turns out to be it would quite likely be due to Waterfox...

4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's all good, but it doesn't solve my frustration with ff updating without permission since it requires ff. Aren't there any other recs?

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I am missing something but did you try to just set your "Options" to tell FF not to auto-update? Go to "Tools" -> "Options" -> "Advanced" and the following pop-up will display:

upload_2015-4-17_4-28-18.png

Make sure you are in the "Update" tab, then turn off automatic updating either permanently or elect to be given the option to decline or allow an update.

If you'd done the above and the problem remained, your FF is broken and needs a "hard reset". It is, in fact, a good idea to do this periodically. Go to "Help" -> "Troubleshooting Information" to display this tab:
    FF_TBS.png

Click the "Refresh Firefox" button on top right and you should be as good as new. You can then turn off auto-update as above and it should work if it did not work before.

No other remedy would solve your problem.

estnet likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not too surprising. A build named "nightly" is typically a beta/developer environment and is the result of the "nightly" compilation of all the work done that day. It is expected to be buggy. You should be working on a stable or release version if stability is your goal.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, 'Nightly' was Firefox community's attempt at a "true" 64-bit Firefox at the time, so it was clear that it was work-in-progress. But it should have been expected to have some stability between compilations. I got rid of it quickly and have no idea what became of it. This Waterfox thing is by far the most stable 64-bit FF I have seen. It is still running strong on my one 64-bit desktop AlienWare system running Win 7 Ultimate on which the 32-bit FF is simply not welcome.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's not really what nightly builds are for in most dev communities. The issue you described sounds like a memory leak. Those are terribly common in early iterations of code.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    May well be. The problematic 64-bit Dell AlienWare system [designed for playing games on the internet and thus has a powerful GPU and computing power] was one of the very first produced, so it is almost without a doubt buggy, since I much later purchased the same system for my office and the 32-bit FF works just fine on it. That does sound like a memory 'leak' problem, which a true, well built 64-bit application can plug up.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It has nothing to do with the hardware and everything to do with the software. Memory leaks are no unique to 32-bit or 64-bit architectures. They've existed basically as long as there has been code.

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure how far you wish to take this. I never suggested that hardware had anything to do with it. I mentioned the GPU and computing power simply to indicate why I purchased a second identical system for my office (hint: medical image processing is a big part of what I do).

An application is software and that is where memory leaks can occur in trying to run a 32-bit application on a 64-bit system. Improper data type/pointer conversions or typecasting can lead to memory leaks. There can, of course, be memory leaks within the same architecture due to, e.g., "dangling pointers." We can take this out of the forum if you wish but I see no point to this discussion. We'd previously established that we are both computer programmers, meaning that we often have a pretty good idea about software related issues...

G'day.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You said the first box was an early purchase and "almost without a doubt buggy" and also that the 32-bit version runs better on the newer hardware. If that's not what you meant then so be it.

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like I said, I have no idea what you are driving at. You must suffer from OCD! The first box was buggy with respect to software or drivers, which might have been changed in subsequent systems. BTW, you do know that hardware does not control itself, right? That every hardware component requires software called a driver, right? That there is interaction between applications and hardware also through software, right?

G'day.for good.

14. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, but I did have it set to check with me before installing updates and my frustration is that it checks but when I say not to install it does install at some random time.
    So I looked at the refresh (which I didn't know about) - and it says if I do that it will remove all my add-ons, etc I assume this means the rss feeds I have set up? (or do they stay because they are set up through live bookmarks?)
    Anyway, not being a programmer the rest of the discussion is a bit over my head, but as far as I can tell not relevant to my problem ;)

15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might be a good thing to just write down the add-ons that you have. Do a hard reset and then bring the add-ons back one at a time to determine whether any of them is causing your issue

An even simpler approach would be to just disable auto-update altogether and then to update manually only when you wish.

The rest of the discussion should not have happened at all. It was pointless.

estnet likes this.