Need opinions regarding Chase cards

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by TravelBear, Dec 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    A coworker is about to apply for the CSP card as she is planning a European trip with her two young daughters next year. Within the past 6 months she received a Chase Amazon card. Anyone have any idea if she will have an issue getting the Preferred card? Also, could she apply for the United Mileage card at the same time? Or should she wait?

Any input would be appreciated.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the situation she has with Chase... I got the SW card, then 3 weeks later got the CSP then 1 month later an Ink. Before that all I had open was a Freedom ... but I've had the Freedom for years

jbcarioca and malikguy like this.
  3. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say it has to depend on how good your credit is. If you feel that you have strong credit, then I don't think it would be an issue to app for both at the same time. You may have to call the recon line at Chase if you don't get system approved but you shouldn't have any issues. You also may want to take a look at this forum post:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/90-days-from-application-or-approval.50578/#post-1753551

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:

Awesome that was helpful to see, thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like others have said as long as she has good credit she should be okay. I've applied for multiple Chase cards at once many times. Unless she is really wanting to get the "perks" of the United card she might be better off getting the Ink Bold or Ink Plus. The points you earn from telecom, gas, etc. can add up quickly and she'll still be able to transfer them to United if needed.

malikguy and jwsky like this.
  6. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    She will likely have to call recon if she goes for two, but may very well get it if everything checks out good.

malikguy likes this.
  7. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had to call the recon line when I applied for my United a couple of weeks ago. I was initially declined because I had gotten the BA Visa back in June (5.5 months ago). I just explained that I was flying to Hawaii this summer and wanted to fly United since BA doesn't fly there (even though I could use them for AA.... ssshhh;)). They just moved some of my credit from the BA to the UA.

Although this isn't exactly what you are doing, I'm sure you could take a similar approach in that you want to have a separate card for different types of purchases and you are planning on flying United in the future. Then maybe something about how you also like the versatility 2x points for travel/dining on the CSP. That way you show that you plan on actually using the card (good for them) as opposed to just signing up for the bonus (not so good for them).

From what others have said, it seems that Chase focuses more on how much credit they have given you in total. However, others have also said one personal card every 6 months or so. So I guess YMMV. One card should be good with a call to recon (because of the amazon card within the past 6 months). Two is less likely depending on her credit and reasoning for two cards.

malikguy likes this.
  8. Voodard

Voodard Active Member

Status Points:
    I highly recommend that your co-worker get the CSP and United Explorer card. Later on, she should also think about getting the Freedom card, too. This way they are accumulating points at a great tick and when they're ready, transfer the points from Freedom to CSP, then CSP to United.

Get the United card for the club access one time use passes, sign up bonus, & primary car rental coverage.