Need MR help please

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by brucewil, Nov 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Swore I would never do a mileage run, but the window of opportunity seems to be closing with the impending departure of US from *A. I would like to earn Star Gold through the A3 miles and bonus program. I will be about 5300 miles short of the 16K necessary to earn Gold. I am based in Philly, so it would seem one coast to coast run with a stop somewhere would fulfill the requirements. If the MR is to SD, it would also be a mini vacation as we used to live there, so cost would become less important. I would go as high as $350 or so. I would like to do this on a weekend in December. I am not real familiar with the use of ITA software, so I could use some suggestions. Ideal trip would be something like PHL-CLT-SAN and back leaving on a Fri and returning on a Sun so that we could get a full day plus in SD to visit with some friends.

2. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just did a quick search. Look into phl-clt-sju dec 7&8 1 night for under 440.00. I see it's outside your price but you can make it a mini vacation. You can also do direct for ~3k miles. Not so great MR at 7 cents per mile. But the destination might work. Also, see phl-las. Las-phx-phl on 12/14-15 for 316. Works out to a little over 6 cents per mile, but again dest could be fun.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    TravelBear likes this.
  3. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. I will look into both scenarios, but a little more than I want to spend for the SJU run. I'm not sure the las run will be enough miles, but the price and destination might be right.

4. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did some calculations and neither run gives you 5300 miles.

brucewil likes this.
  5. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ok. How about Phl-phx-pdx-phl under 336.00. Overnight required avail on 12/14. May be able to extract more miles with the routing.

TravelBear likes this.
  6. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will ck that out when I get home. Is that on US?

7. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes US metal. How about paying forward the favor with a like.

TravelBear and brucewil like this.
  8. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for doing the legwork. We just got back last night from our annual Aruba trip with some friends. I was paying it forward so to speak, by helping someone else on here with planning their Aruba trip in January!

rookie10 likes this.
  9. tfd

tfd Silver Member

Status Points:
    SJC for $349 - 12/14. Same day turn. 5,393 Miles per GCMAP. No overnight required. Booked in E and K. 100% credit to Aegean. Google Flight link to book:
    https://www.google.com/flights/#sea...4-PHXSJC0US415,SJCPHX0US594-PHXPHL0US624;a=US

The fare to SAN is > $440 on US as there is no R (no credit), E or K availability. Lowest right now is in L.

brucewil likes this.
  10. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like it might work. Thank you very much.