Need mattress run...etiquette?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Ed Ip, Aug 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I am in a Diamond challenge and unfortunately the previous plans that would complete the challenge has fallen through. I am now looking to mattress run , for the first time, to complete the challenge.

Most run I've read about are 1 night'er which make things simple. But what is the proper etiquette/procedure for a multi-day mattress run -- should I make the room look occupied every day or just the first night, or does it even matter once I checked in at the front desk?

Thanks all!

Ed

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need to 'muss up' the room. Save the hotel some cash in not having to do anything on the facility and everyone wins.

3. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cool, I am very good at doing nothing. :p I just want to make sure housekeeping wouldn't report back that no one is actually using the room.

marcwint55 and MSYgirl like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would that matter? You paid and checked in. That's what is required to get credit.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I did the SPG PLT Challenge, I checked in, went upstairs took the Westin Toiletries (wife to be loves their stuff) & left.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent point. :) Thanks!

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, no need to do anything special. Just make sure to put a DnD hanger on the door before you leave to avoid any house keeping interference. I've done up to 4-5 days at a time without issue. Hyatt credit will post at around 2 days after checkout time.

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. jmgriffin

jmgriffin Silver Member

Status Points:

It seems like I've had housekeeping come in on days where I've had the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. My (possibly crazy) theory is that hotels have a policy of entering the room at least every other day to check and make sure a guest hasn't died or something.

Rotting corpses are generally bad for hotel business.

Ed Ip, Aktchi, viguera and 3 others like this.
  9. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually I don't think that's a good idea. A DND, and then an unused room might have them pay more attention than you need. I'd just tell the front desk that you have a meeting in another city, and if you don't make it back in the morning, NOT to automatically check you out.

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had less probs with dnd personally. Ymmv.

marcwint55 likes this.
  11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    In every case where I've had a mattress run I've been honest with the front desk and they've always been appreciative and supportive. I'm sure some places might not be but I have yet to experience an issue.

viguera and marcwint55 like this.
  12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

There are many locations where a call in advance to the manager will save you the bother of even checking in. Many hotels are happy to have the revenue and will even discount the room if you are not planning on using it.

davef139, MX and viguera like this.
  13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yup, never done it myself but have heard plenty of success stories.

marcwint55 likes this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I do this regularly, even with car rentals when you're friendly with the manager and they know what you're doing -- the US Grand Slam a couple of years ago was a perfect example.

There's of course an inherent risk to this whole thing, however small. After all, you're basically going through the motions of "staying" at a hotel but you're not there. Some unscrupulous employee might decide to make use of the room for which you are ultimately responsible, although like I said the risk of that happening is often small.

marcwint55 likes this.