NEED LOST BAGGAGE HELP!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by rjp82, Jul 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rjp82

rjp82 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Long story short, on July 5 my sister-in-law flew from Washington-Dulles to London Heathrow, changing to BMI to fly to Freetown, Sierra Leone. Unfortunately, it seems that United decided her bag would rather travel from Dulles to Dubai to Nairobi, Kenya. It has been 18 days since she has had her bag. We have contacted United on a daily basis (via phone, email and twitter), and emailed with BMI and Kenya Airways but no one is able to actually help us find our bag. If anyone has any contacts at United that would possibly be able to help me, please send me a PM. They have absolutely been a brick wall and are refusing to try to help. Thank you.

2. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assume you filed a lost bag claim with original airline , after 18 days --sorry 2 tell you I think you will never get it , file a claim with you homeowners insurance or if covered with a credit card --Good luck

3. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Techically UA has no responsibility for locating your SIL's bag, that falls on the airline that delivers you at your final destination. It appears that BMI is the one you need to continue to contact. How do you know that the bag went to Nairobi? I would strongly suggest that you phone BMI since emails are easily ignored.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any updates? Please keep us posted. Good luck!

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

I am familiar with that rule. It seems very odd, though, that -- assuming the bag really flew IAD-DXB (on UA, presumably) -- the passenger needs to deal with an airline that never even had the bag in the first place. One would hope that UA would do the right pragmatic thing here and help the passenger.

But on the flip side, there is typically no record of a phone conversation when you need it. And I am not sure (based on my reading of the BMI FT forums) that BMIs India Call Center is going to be all that helpful ... if that's where the call would go. People seem to have even more complaints about it than UA flyers with the UA version.

6. rjp82

rjp82 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have been in contact with both BMI and Kenya Airways via email and BMI via phone (though not too often since it's an international call). But our hope was that United would actually help us, though not technically their responsibility, since they never handed the bag off to BMI. We have been told multiple times by United that they sent it to Dubai and that it was their fault for losing the bag. All we were hoping for was someone to contact Kenya Airways (or possibly Oman Air, since the flight to Nairobi stopped in Muscat) to see if they could locate the bag. Not sure if it was the tweeting or the calls to the Investor Relations and Media Relations hotlines, but someone from Continental called yesterday and she's trying to help. We'll see what happens. . .