Need info on Hotel CCs

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by TravelBear, Jun 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do the hotel CCs allow you to transfer those points to airline points? And if so how do you know which ones allow to transfers to what airlines?
    I hope I made sense.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    aptraveler and Scottrick like this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sometimes makes more sense to get a card with generic points that can be converted to hotels or airlines, like the Sapphire Preferred.

aptraveler likes this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Virtually every major hotel program allows transfers and to a wide variety of airlines. Whether the transfer rates are good is another question.
    Rick Garrido of loyaltytraveler.com has done articles analyzing hotel to airline transfer rates and related matters. I don't have those posts saved, but you should be able to find them easily by searching his site:
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyaltytraveler/

aptraveler, deant and MX like this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sapphire is good, but "generic" means "hyatt or united" a substantial portion of the time, and ba or maybe Korean every once in a while.

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    aptraveler and miles and smiles like this.
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also transfer to Priority Club, Marriott, Southwest, and British Airways.

8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Priority club points are not valuable enough to be worthwhile, nor are Marriott points. You would generally be better off paying with points at either. Southwest could be OK for domestic trips, but in many cases BA is a better value there.

No one ever seems to mention KE for whatever reason, and not many mention Amtrak.

The only lucrative hotel option is Hyatt. The airline options are somewhat better, but the big drawing point seems t be UA. It's a nice card, but imo gets a bit overhyped so maybe some of this is just backlash (and I say this as a holder of the Vias and the MC). You can choose between 1 good hotel option and a couple of worthwhile air options.

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    pay with points is also another option with UR points.

10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is generally a poor option. I don't know what the ratio is for UR, but I know UA miles can be redeemed for about 0.97 cents of value per mile. It's a horrible rate, and I wouldn't expect UR to be much better. Maybe 1.2 cents.

11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    i think its 1.25

12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Beats transferring to Marriot and Priority club in general, southwest is marginally better in the best case.

UR is a good start, but the people who really tout its value seem to almost invariably be UA flyers who stay at Hyatts.

If you want flexibility, and can afford to wait a bit for transfers, Starpoints are tough to beat. If you want airline flexibility and aren't UA-centric, then Amex Membership Rewards has more flexibility. UR is the one flexible point program that has a valuable hotel option in Hyatt (without being a hotel program first, like starwood) and the one that happens to have UA.

Transfer flexibility for me primarily means either being able to transfer to programs I accrue miles in through other means to top off accounts, or having a really wide range of programs to transfer to to leverage different award charts. I'll either use mine for high-category hyatt stays, or build up some more UA miles and combine them there.

I'd consider starpoints or MR points far more "generic" than UR points, although MR points are crap for hotels.