Need ideas for AA MR from SJC

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by carwag25, Nov 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I am fairly new to milepoint, and a beginner regarding MR's. I have started going to Farecompare/flyertalk to look for the lowest CPM fares from SJC, then finding the fare codes/rules on Expert Flyer, and then to AA.com to find the flights. I haven't been able to find any good MR's thus far. I need to get about 17K miles before Dec 31, so I am hoping all the experts can give me some ideas on a MR? Maybe a popular or favorite MR? I am also willing to fly out of SFO as a last resort.

Thanks in advance for the ideas!

Gargoyle and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. tfd

tfd Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a DEQM promotion going on for AA from SFO - ORD/DFW for AA members with address on their AA.com profile in California, Texas and Illinois. Same day returns to ORD for $259 and 7,364 EQM (after doubling) or 3.5CPM is available on 11/12 & 12/3 & 12/10 (no days off from work or hotel costs) right now. That will be cheaper than anything else out there.

Good luck.

alohastephen and Gargoyle like this.
  3. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi tfd,

Thanks so much for the response! Unfortunately, the DEQM will not help me much as I am needing 17K base miles to qualify for EXP on AA as part of the Oneworld Mega Do AA Elite Challenge. Sorry I didn't mention the base miles requirement previously. Any other possible MR's that I could do on the weekends?
    Thanks again for the help!

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. tfd

tfd Silver Member

Status Points:
    3X SFO-SJU runs? Same day possible via DFW (all mid-week though). 7,200 miles each... for $400/pop.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your best bet is a transcon to NYC or BOS. A quick search on ITA shows ~$300 a/i fares to Boston via DFW for 6,038 total base miles, redeye + same day return. Depending on the interpretation of DEQM rules, you might even qualify for DEQM on the SFO-DFW portion.

San Francisco (SFO) to Boston (BOS) - Sat, Dec 3
    San Francisco (SFO) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) - Sat, Dec 3
    American 2042 Dep: 12:25AM Arr: 5:35AM 3h 10m Boeing 737Coach (O)
    Layover in DFW 0h 40m
    Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Boston (BOS) - Sat, Dec 3
    American 1466 Dep: 6:15AM Arr: 10:35AM 3h 20m Boeing 757Coach (O)

Boston (BOS) to San Francisco (SFO) - Sat, Dec 3
    Boston (BOS) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) - Sat, Dec 3
    American 2457 Dep: 11:35AM Arr: 3:00PM 4h 25m Boeing 757Coach (O)
    Layover in DFW 1h 10m
    Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to San Francisco (SFO) - Sat, Dec 3
    American 399 Dep: 4:10PM Arr: 5:55PM 3h 45m Boeing 737Coach (O)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $320.80
    Total cost for 1 passenger $320.80

carwag25 likes this.
  6. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Seems like my best bet thus far! Never been to Boston, so I guess I will be seeing it from the air :)

7. DCA Rob

DCA Rob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been seeing some $200 ai AA RT fares WAS-LAX. There were also some WAS-SFO RT's that could be done in a day, but they were $260+

8. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    There were quite a few routes where AA matched VX sale ($99 each way), and WAS-LAX could be one of them. There were $199 a/i ORD-SFO and ORD-LAX fares as well. That sale ended last Friday though. :(

FWIW, current VX price for ORD-SFO is $260, and that's exactly what AA charges as well. :)

9. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    The city is actually quite quick and easy to get to from the airport using public transportation. Consider later return flights, if you can spare a few hours.

10. dsldog400

dsldog400 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's been over a year ago, I needed some AA miles to finish up 2010. Was headed from Pasco, WA to SFO in two days for work, so I did this:

PSC-SEA AS 1-way award, intra-state, 7.5K miles

SEA-DFW-ORD-MKE (ex-DFW on #2350 777, J seat as coach), left SEA at midfnight ($99)
    MKE-ORD-DCA , arrive DCA 24 hrs later at midnight, cheap hotel for 5 hrs. ($70)
    DCA-JFK-SFO arrived SFO about noon, went to work next day ($130)

Booked as 3 tickets, got over 7000 miles.

Cheap AA fares are a lot harder to find now. MKE and SAN were good turn around cities.

Sometimes they still are, as are SJU, IND, SAT & AUS, depending upon citiy at other end.

If you don't have to have AA metal, sometimes some good fares show up on west coast with AS codeshares.

11. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    The challenge does require AA metal. It also counts base miles, not EQMs. For a non-elite, MKE-ORD doesn't bring a lot. :(

12. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Suggestion based on a quick scan:
    SFO-LAX-DFW-SJU-JFK-ORD-SFO, about 7.9K miles, $398, available on a few days in Nov and Dec.