Need ideas for 72 hours in Honolulu

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by MissBurrill, Nov 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will soon be making my 5th visit to Hawaii. This one will be a quick 72 hours. I'll be on the inaugural BNE-HNL flight. There are a couple of shops I must visit but would love to hear what others can suggest.

I've visited Pearl Harbor, twice hiked to the top of Diamond Heaad. Done a circle island tour. Spent a fun day at the Polynesian Cultural Centre. I won't have a car but am confident using The Bus. I will watch the fireworks on the Friday night.

Eggs n Things has been suggested for breakfast one morning. I'll have a beer at the Hale Koa bar next to the beach. Probably visit the animals at the Hilton.

IDGflygirl, marcwint55 and 8MiHi like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eggs-n-things is always a win in my book. The location near the Army Museum is significantly better than the "express" location near the Hyatt IMO.

My last trip I waked around Diamond Head rather than up Diamond Head. Took a couple hours and I got to see some nice areas and beaches I otherwise probably would have never found. Other than that, however, I'd find it a challenge to pass 3 days in Waikiki and not go too crazy. Good luck!

3. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    The weird thing is I don't like eggs but I've had plenty of good feedback. Plus their crepes look awesome.

A walk around Diamond Head is a great idea.

Last visit I did a food tour which was fantastic. Am tempted to do it again. I'm trying to avoid just going shopping.

I created a meet up in hope of dinner and drinks.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't get eggs there; that's one key to my love of it. The pancakes are delicious.

When you visited Pearl Harbor how much did you see? I did the sub and the memorial on my visit but I know there are a couple other sites there, too.

5. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with WA on everything above. We also walked around DH and found an organic food festival on its north side. There are often festivals celebrating Polynesian or Asian cultures by the zoo. If your looking to be careful with your money, the food court in the Ala Moana mall is different from any food court I have been in. Picnic out on the Miracle Isle and watch all the Japanese brides get their pictures taken with DH in the background. There is a nice little Japanese restaurant in the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Take a day trip to snorkle in Hanauma bay by Koko head (not Tuesday).

6. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    I visited Pearl Harbor in 2002 on my first trip to Hawaii. I only looked at the Memorial. I could catch The Bus out there. I have considered buying a two-day trolley/bus pass so I can travel there directly.

8MiHi, IDGflygirl and marcwint55 like this.
  7. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mum and I ended up at a World Record attempt at the Word's Biggest Lei. It's amazing what can be found n the park near the zoo.

My budget isn't too bad. I'm thinking $1000 for three nights accom and spending money. I just need to make sure I don't spend it all at a knitting shop and on Mai Tai's!

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I typically do well less than $1000 for a return ticket, food and a night or two of hotel so that shouldn't be too difficult, though I don't know your hotel room standards; mine are pretty low. :oops:

If you've only done the actual memorial at Pearl then you can easily spend a day (and $50 or so) seeing the other sites there. Bring food if you're going to be there during lunch. Not a lot of options available to buy on-site when I was there.

9. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I enjoyed visiting some of the state's government buildings and a church near by.

marcwint55 and MissBurrill like this.
  10. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    My flight was about $1000. I've seen some rooms about $100/night. I checked out AirBnB but figure if I'm spending $50/night for a lounge I can pay $100 for a hotel and have more freedoms and privacy.

Thanks for the tip re taking lunch. Looking online they still have the no bag policy but I can check a bag at the Memorial for $3.

11. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have toured the Palace and it was beautiful. Our guide knew her history and never said 'um'. I was impressed.

12. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Doris Duke Art Museum is world class.

13. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife would spend it at the quilt shops. We found that the trolleys other than the pink line would tend to run inconsistently, but if you are willing to put up with that, they can take you into DH to hike it as well as to the Palace with a bit of a walk to the art museum.

MissBurrill and marcwint55 like this.
  14. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be there on the 29th if you have time to meet up!

15. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Leonard's Bakery is the best place on the island for malasadas. Zippys has great chili and the Rainbow drive in is a classic place one should not miss.

wrxmom, IDGflygirl and MissBurrill like this.
  16. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a tour I want to do. The website said it books out well in advance but I can try.

marcwint55 and IDGflygirl like this.
  17. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the advice on the trolleys. Will think some more before I buy a ticket. If I was going to Waikele I would definitely need one.

marcwint55 likes this.
  18. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure!!!!! I've scheduled a meet-up for the 28th but can make it the 29th. Will you have the whole day? Can talk via PM. We can even make some Kiva loans!

Dances with excitement at having a buddy.

marcwint55 and IDGflygirl like this.
  19. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    The food tour in 2008 introduced me to malasadas. I would happily got to Leonard's again.

Will have a look at Zippys and the Rainbow Drive-In.

marcwint55 likes this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Rainbow is a relatively easy walk from the Diamond Head end of Waikiki Beach. Leonard's is a bit further away. Dunno about Zippy's. But I've done the walk to Rainbow and it was reasonable. Not sure if TheBUS has a route which also handles those or not.

marcwint55 and MissBurrill like this.