Need help with the "Big Question"

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by RCTP, Feb 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning to propose to my girlfriend this coming July when we go on our Aussie trip.

And the time frame in which I plan to pop the question will leave us probably somewhere along the Great Ocean Road.

So any advice and/or recommendations on where I is the best spot to do so?

Mikus33 and WilliamQ like this.
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    First and foremost, CONGRATS on making that big decision.
    Ok... end of my contributions.. nvr been to Aussie before although its on my list of places to visit. :)

timfrost and edekba like this.
  3. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    Second the Congrats! I have nothing to add for Australia, but general advice from somebody who proposed on a trip (I'm assuming it's a surprise and your partner doesn't read mp):
    -Don't do it first day, but early in the trip.
    -Never leave the ring in the hotel. Not worth the risk. And never keep it in a shared bag. Also not worth the risk.
    -Try to get somebody to take a picture of you guys or get it on video. Some of the best advise from my friend. I love looking back at the video and how nervous I looked and her look when she said yes. I found a couple who spoke English and asked them to take a picture. Then I looked at it and asked for another, but leaned in to the guy and said keep taking as I switched to video.
    -Plan a nice dinner or special evening that day
    -Research spots, but wait for the right time. You'll know when it is. I carried the ring for a day walking around and the time didn't come till the next mid morning. ie, don't force the time. Let it happen when you know it.
    -Plan plenty of time for them/you to call/email/facetime family back home.
    -Notify hotel and if you know the exact day, sneak out to the front desk that morning (act like you have to use the bathroom downstairs-always a good excuse for guys!) and ask for champagne, flowers, etc to be in the room when you return.

timfrost, Counsellor, edekba and 2 others like this.
  4. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the well wishes guys.

@GreekDeno : Most of the points you mentioned are aligned with what I intend to do. Right now I'm most worried about carrying the ring around with me.

"What if I lose it????"

Haha.

But other than GOR, any particular places to recommend at Sydney? The gf might wanna change the itinerary a bit so it's now 50-50 between Melbourne (GOR) and Sydney. Cant raise suspicions by insisting on staying at GOR.

5. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations! I haven't been down that particular road (Great Ocean). But I would recommend looking at "tripadvisor" or "Lonely Planet".

6. rally

rally Active Member

Status Points:
    Firstly, congratulations!! :)

Secondly, I live in Melbourne and would be more than happy to suggest a few nice places where you could pop the question :D

Though as an FYI, July is in the middle of our winter and though it may not be cold, per se, it will rain.

7. HeavenlyJane

HeavenlyJane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Use a safety pin to fasten the ring to something you trust won't be lost, like the inside pocket of the primary pants you will be wearing.

ContinentalFan likes this.
  8. davidov

davidov Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sydney...atop the bridge. Call them and they'll will set you up with a nice package. Just don't bring the real ring in case you drop it!! Have a copy with you for the risky moment and have the real one waiting on the ground - same applies to all other adventures: Great Barrier Reef diving, skydiving, boats, etc.

Mikus33 likes this.
  9. SteveJay27

SteveJay27 Active Member

Status Points:
    Ayers Rock. That's where I proposed. Magical place.

10. Pumpette

Pumpette Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bondi Beach!

11. ckracen

ckracen Active Member

Status Points:
    Along the Great Ocean road is a lighthouse off the road a little way, can't remember exactly where but it is a notable one that should be easy to find. On the small, quiet road to that lighthouse is a spot where if you look up you'll see 50 or more koalas sleeping in the trees right above your head. It was magical!

12. NWAdinosaur

NWAdinosaur Member

Status Points:
    I'd come up with a few options and make the decision when it seems right. Harbor Bridge would certainly be amongst the most memorable of locations. The Blue Mountains are especially lovely, with any number of special locations, if you want something out of the city. Manly Beach is a lovely spot after a brief ferry ride from Circular Quay. There are just so many candidates, from Victoria to Queensland to South Australia (Hahndorf is such a charming village with some great eateries), whether they're urban or outback. Many places along the coast may offer a chance to see some fairy penguins, what a sweet way to make a fairytale moment all the more special. Uluru (formerly Ayers Rock) is a bit of a trip but would nevertheless be memorable as you stand near that Rock while sliding that Rock onto a finger.

Just don't drop the bloody ring (witness the many examples of such around the Web)!

13. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pm me....I live here and can help with suggestions and possibly with logistics

14. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't remember the name of the lighthouse, but worth the drive off of the GOR to visit, and a fine place to propose as long as the weather isn't too knarly.

Not sure they are still there, but Erskine Falls Cottages - a great place to stay, with visits from local parrots....a bit back from the road, but with great views back to the ocean.

15. nightfall camp

nightfall camp New Member

Status Points:
    Hi RCTP,
    July is mid-winter in Australia, so you may like to consider heading north point to soak up Queensland's warmer weather!

Aside from the many spectacular public places to pop the question, there are a number of deliciously secluded and intimate privately-owned spots which allow you to tailor your occasion, so it's more than just producing the ring and proposing (not that there is anything wrong with that, but we're talking options here).

Think wilderness, romantic retreats, pampering your girl with a massage, before going on a bushwalk, only to stumble-upon a hidden personalised picnic setting in the Queensland rainforest ... long stemmed roses, French champagne and the ring, maybe beside a clear mountain-stream. Once she's said yes, there's always the romantic dinner to savour the moment, 100 candles around your bed and more.

You can google engagement/marriage proposal and accommodation for ideas and options. We often scheme with guys like yourself, to create truly memorable occasions.

LOVE IT!

Enjoy your planning ... Steve and Heidi Ross, host owners at nightfall camp, Lamington National Park, Queensland

16. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    I almost forgot a critical point (imo). Get insurance on the ring. I think it makes sense regardless, but I was set on insurance the day I bought it after hearing a horror story. Friend of a friend was going to propose to his gf in Paris. He goes almost the whole trip without doing it and finally on a bridge after she was visibly upset (since he hadn't asked and she was expecting it) he gets down on a knee and in a hast to give him a huge hug she knocks the ring out of his hand and into the Siene. He didn't have theft or loss insurance.

17. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all for all the awesome suggestions!

I'm more inclined towards the lighthouse (coming from Navy, although I dislike beaches due to "Secure the beachhead" exercises) option and googling it, seems like there are lots of lighthouses along GOR and more detailed research is required.

Insurance on the ring is a great idea, wonder how that flew over my head.

Hopefully the right opportunity presents itself somewhere along the GOR as my girlfriend once mentioned that she dislikes being proposed in a crowded and public place and everyone will be chanting "say yes".
    "Unfair pressure to the girl to say yes" according to her. LOL

18. Are you doing a la luxury or a la budget

19. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Somewhere in the middle.
    Gonna rent a car and and do self drive through the GOR.

20. I ask this because Park Hyatt is nice in Sydney and Quay is a great place to dine but not sure what somewhere in the middle means in $ terms?:oops:

ContinentalFan likes this.
  21. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ooh I see. I've yet to plan out the budget as my style is to plan out the places to go and things to do first before working out the budget.

In terms of accommodations, will 99.9% stay at Hilton's due to my Gold status with them.

22. Hilton Sydney is okay

23. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does she read MP? Just curious.

24. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thankfully no. She's very unfamiliar with everything to do with frequent travel. So I do all the reading of travel forums.