Need Help with Routing Suggestions from Australia

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Toula, Jun 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    My husband and I came to Oz a few weeks ago on one-way points redemption. Came FC on Cathay to SGN via HKNG then we bought Jetstar tix to Darwin.

The time has come for us to think about how we are going to get ourselves back to the US (SFO) in the most comfortable fashion as cheaply as possible. My head is just not in the game at the moment and I can't seem to come up with much.

Our situation points-wise, and I realise we have made the mistake of putting all our eggs in one basket, that is OneWorld;

BA 150k
    Qantas 180k
    AA 250k

Our situation is further complicated as we do not know what date we will be returning as we are here to deal with family issues which are not going smoothly. I have been looking at travel dates at the end of July. I can't see any reasonably priced points wise flights on Qantas either into LAX or via Auckland.

We could get ourselves to either Auckland, SGN or SIN for reasonable prices to position ourselves.

We have signed up for the US Airways promotion but not yet bought any points. Is it likely there is an alliance we would be able to redeem points for business at this short notice if we go via Singapore, ie. Singapore Airlines or are we totally dreaming.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should add that we also have 320k points on Hawaiian but I am not seeing any FC availablity.

3. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Singapore is quite available from OZ. But to the US you won't get anything.
    TG is pretty good, you could fly SIN-BKK-LAX with them.

If you were to originate in Asia, you should be able to find CX home. Available also from Australia but AA doesn't allow routing via Asia and BA/QF will be very expensive.

Also try NZ, seats do open (apparently exactly 60 days but I've seen closer and further) both to LAX and SFO and its a very nice product. Again, you'l l need those *A miles.