Need help with NSF (No Show Fee)

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by TravelerRob, Jan 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a reservation last week for a hotel (call it Hotel A). I booked it a week in advance. I arrive in the city I'm going to and find out that everyone else I'm there to see are staying at Hotel B. Both are Marriott properties.

I ask at the front desk of Hotel B if they can move my reservation over. They tell me no problem and they call someone (I'm guessing Marriott reservations but I truly don't know) and have a new reservation made for me at Hotel B and I'm told I'll get an email cancellation for Hotel A. I heard the front desk person specifically tell the person on the phone what I was trying to do. Sure enough no cancellation ever appears for Hotel A.

Now I have a NSF in the full amount of the room + taxes from Hotel A on my card. I call the Plat Support Desk and explain the situation and they tell me no problem they'll forward my request to Hotel A for a refund. A couple of days goes by and I get an email from the GM at Hotel A telling me that my refund request is denied because I didn't show up. I try calling the GM back several times and I get no answer. So I called the Plat Support Desk back and speak to a Supervisor who understands my situation but has no authority to do anything other than to call the GM.

The Supervisor at the Plat Support Desk calls me back 5 minutes later and told me that the GM from Hotel A would contact her Regional Manager to see if they could refund the charges because the hotel owners (it's a franchise) have a strict policy on NSF's.

I'm currently waiting to hear back about what the Regional Manager agreed (or didn't agree) to do. Assuming this doesn't go in my favor the Supervisor at the Plat Support Desk said the only other thing that I can do is appeal my case to Mr. Marriott's office.

As far as I'm concerned this is entirely Marriott's fault. If they weren't going to cancel my other reservation or couldn't cancel it for any reason they should have told the front desk person at Hotel B that before they made a new reservation for me.

The only other thing I can do right now is dispute the charge on my credit card which I'm not sure how far that's going to get me.

Do any of you have suggestions for me on things I can do to get this situation fixed? Have you been in this situation before and what ultimately got it resolved?

Thanks in advance.

-RM

2. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it doesn't go through with the Regional Manager, try to disputed the charge. May work...

Usually, the Plat desk of all hotel chains is pretty helpful with things like this.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are the two hotels owned and operated separately? Sometimes when several hotels in the same area are under the same umbrella, they may not care which one you stay in, especially if your choice doesn't result in a lower rate or cause you to stay in the hotel that's much more full.

4. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No idea if the hotels are owned by the same franchise or not. I understand how it could make it easier to process my NSF refund because I wound up staying at one of their other properties but I still see this as Marriott's screw up, not mine.

Thanks.

-RM

5. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I were you I'll deal with Hotel B and Marriott Plat Support. Since Hotel B was the one telling you that your reservation with Hotel A was cancelled. IMO Hotel A hasn't done anything wrong because you made a reservation there and you didn't show up.

6. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree Hotel A didn't do anything wrong; however, they are the only ones who can fix it and I need someone at Marriott to admit fault and take care of this as I do see this as 100% their fault.

I got an email back from the GM at Hotel A tonight (finally). She told me that she still will not refund my NSF but now she has offered me a free night stay at their hotel any time in the next year. Normally I'd be happy with this effort and accept the offer but there's a few problems: 1) I don't often travel to the area Hotel A is located; 2) that means I'm paying and carrying forward the $200+ charge until I can stay at that airport again and then I get a receipt for $0 when I check out which doesn't help me with my expenses.

I'm going to call the Plat Support Desk again tomorrow and push this further. If they won't refund the money then I won't stay at Marriott's again and $200+ is far insignficant to someone who stays 90+ nights a year in Marriotts all over the world.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'd still like to hear from someone who has been in this position before.

-RM

7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just a quick update - I spoke to the Plat Service Line again today and got a different supervisor because the one I worked with last week is off today. The new Supervisor promised to look into this and go above the GM of Hotel A if needed. About an hour later I got a call back from the Supervisor letting me know she got the issue resolved. Without giving me too much detail the Supervisor told me she had to cover some of the costs and the hotel is refunding the whole thing. I'm not sure what that means but I guess the Plat Service Line has a budget to make up for errors made by the individual hotels.

I'm happy with the outcome and will book at least three weeks of hotel stays in February with Marriott again now that things are resolved satisfactorily.

Thanks,
    RM

8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the lessons learned column -- next time something like this happens, call the hotel yourself.

I've had refundable reservations (with another chain) and called as late as 9 PM because flights were cancelled and cancelled my reservation and not been charged.

The fact you have status can only help in a situation like this.

DTWBOB

9. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great to hear that you got the issue sorted out!

I do think that Marriott is a chain that will 'do the right thing' - of course they won't always comply with your request but they really do try their best to sort things out (except when you want to change your megabonus promo from one to another). That's one of the reasons I like Marriott.

10. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed now. Except I did try to call the hotel after the fact to help get this sorted and to this day the GM refuses to return my calls. But she'll email me once in a while. Oh well. As a GM she should understand better customer service, especially for a Marriott Platinum elite IMO.

-RM

11. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I meant before you checked in !

DTWBOB