Need help with flight on non-partner airline

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by cjneil, Oct 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. cjneil

cjneil Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone. I am new to this board and new to the mileage plan maximizing. Here's the deal:
    We live in Seattle and have our miles accrued on Alaska. My husband is taking a business trip on ANA next month and ANA is not a partner of Alaska. He will be flying business class, so the potential is there for bonus mileage accrual on certain airlines. Would it be better to join ANA's mileage plan or would it be more beneficial to join an ANA partner airline for the mileage accrual? If a partner airline, which one? For my husband, the most likely future travel is going to be domestic or European. We don't want to lose the 20K + miles he will be accruing on this trip. ANY advice would be so appreciated.

Thank you so much!
    CJ

Espan, Mrlasssen and tondoleo like this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint CJ and we'll help you with some advice. Here's what I'd do: I'd advise your husband to enjoy ANA but have those miles earned posted into a US Airways Dividend Miles account as ANA is a current Star Alliance partner and this move will at least move those miles into a domestic account for you. If his business class ticket is booked in one of these fares codes: C, D, J, P or Z, he'll earn 125% of mileage flown which is a pleasant amount.

The purpose of the US Airways Dividend Miles account is because that is a temporary holding account with the idea that once (and this is still on hold), US Airways merges with American Airlines that these earned Dividend Miles will convert into American AAdvantage miles.

The purpose here is that Alaska Airlines is a partner with American AAdvantage which means that in the future you can continue to earn and burn with Alaska Mileage Plan and redeem from these new AAdvantage miles to be used on both Alaska or on American for awards. If these are the only miles you have with AAdvantage, you may need some additional advice to top off the account for redemption onto an award seat with Alaska, but at least it gives you potential utility of something that right now doesn't look positive with Alaska and ANA not being partners.

Others may have additional or other advice, but this is what I'd do in the situation you describe here.

Again welcome and ask all the questions you like, we're all here to help.

3. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is what milepoint is all about, advise and knowledge. I would have never looked at this question the way Randy did and come up with a common sense answer that is easy to understand. Thanks Randy.

tondoleo likes this.
  4. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I totally agree. Good job Randy!

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another approach is to credit the ANA flights to A3, especially if doing so gives you 19,000 status miles for your fare class. When you join the Aegean FF program, you get 1000 free status (and redeemable) miles, where only 20,000 are required for *a *Gold status which does not expire provided that you credit some status miles to A3 every three years.

As a result, you get lounge access, even for UA (and currently US) domestic flights, throughout the Star alliance, free bags, elite check in lines, and some other status benefits. It's a good insurance policy if you foresee that you will occasionally fly *A in the future.

OTOH A3 redemption options probably aren't as good as with UA miles, but doing so without any *A status isn't so good either.

6. cjneil

cjneil Member

Status Points:
    Wow, thank you everyone so much for your help and advice. My wee bit of knowledge just led me to realize we didn't want to lose the miles with no idea of how to accomplish that. Your help is greatly appreciated! No doubt I will be asking more questions in the future and watching this forum to gain more knowledge from all of you experts. Cheers! CJ