Need help with Citi applications

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by xxxadixxx, Jun 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. xxxadixxx
    Original Member

xxxadixxx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been having a very tough time with Citi apps lately and I was hoping someone here may be able to tell me where I am going wrong, either in my approach or expectations. I had a AA MC, AA AMEX, and Hilton Visa. Within the last 3 months I canceled the MC and Visa, but I still have the AA AMEX. I am interested in the AA Visa, but when I applied I was denied (once for the 75,000 offer and again for the 40,000 offer). I am also interested in getting the Hilton card again as my travel plans have changed.

My question is, what are my options for getting the AA Visa and the Hilton Visa? Do I have to wait an extended time or could I get them some point sooner, say in 90 days? Thanks.

2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I recall, after you've been approved for a personal Citi AA card, you have to wait about 18 months before you can apply again successfully. This is not a hard and fast rule, but an approximation of what people have reported. I have a Citi personal AA MC and I waited 17 months before I successfully applied for and received a Citi personal Visa.
    My understanding is that business cards can be applied for more often (but definitely not within 90 days).
    So, I would say that you now have very little chance of getting another Citi personal AA Visa for a long time.
    I don't know what their "rules" are for the Hilton card. But since you recently got denied for the AA Visa, I would recommend waiting at least 90 days. You may want to do more research on the Hilton card and find out what others experiences are.

3. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last September, I applied for 2 Citi AA cards on the same day (Amex and MC) and got both of them. I tried a 3rd one for the Visa a couple of weeks later and was denied. I reapplied for the Visa this year in February and was approved, but I had already cancelled both the Amex and MC in December.

4. xxxadixxx
    Original Member

xxxadixxx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate the information. I guess I have to move on from Citi for a bit, at least for the AA cards. There may be hope for the Hilton card, but I will wait until my Sept apps. Thanks.

5. xxxadixxx
    Original Member

xxxadixxx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does the 18 month wait on Citi apps include if I needed to obtain a Biz card for my business or would that meet separate criteria? Thanks.

6. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think it has varied with people. I was able to get one after a 12 month wait but the spouse wasn't.

7. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had trouble with Citi, too.
    My response has been to create a "work around"; predominately with Chase.
    I wonder if Citi is a basket-case after the Great Recession; and I question if I really want to do business with them.
    I joined AAdvantage, and Citi and I eventually agreed to "withdraw" my credit card application. I joined HHonors, and Citi turned down my credit card application. And yet, they continue to mail me unsolicited, preapproved credit card application offers.:confused:
    By contrast, I joined Onepass after AAdvantage, got the Chase card and today have 4 times the miles in Onepass that I do in AAdvantage. Also, my AGR Chase card came to me with a post Great Recession credit limit so small that I had not seen anything like it in my last 30 years.:D But, I started putting my everyday expenses on it, and six months later Chase doubled that credit limit to the point where it can now be seriously considered for some small travels.:rolleyes: And I still have no Citi card.