Need help with Air Canada flight purchase

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by txsitka, Apr 14, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. txsitka

txsitka New Member

Status Points:
    Greetings everyone. I have been reading many threads on this page and have found that there are a lot of people with a lot of knowledge here! With that being said, I need some help.

Taking a trip to YXE in October from IAH and UA does not offer the flight I have taken in past years. Looks like AC is the only one with the flight I need. My question is what would be the best thing to do to get the most out of my upcoming flight purchase with AC? Apply for Starwood card and buy my flight with said card? Use my existing UA milage card to purchase my flight? I have been reading so much that I am starting to confuse myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hi, there! Glad you asked and happy to help. I'll answer a question with a question. What's your goal? Looking to earn miles for international travel? Domestic travel? Both? Hotels?

3. txsitka

txsitka New Member

Status Points:
    Earn miles for next years trip north of the border. Don't do a lot of traveling due to work. I have a Chase UA card that I am/was using for miles for the yearly trip.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think you're fine sticking with the card you have for now. But, if you want a bit more flexibility, I would consider one of the Chase Sapphire cards. They earn Ultimate Rewards points. Those transfer 1:1 to United, but also give you flexibility to choose a number of other airline or hotel partners.

5. txsitka

txsitka New Member

Status Points:
    I really appreciate the info!!

satman40 likes this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the Sapphire Card you get double miles when you eat out, charge your travel expenses, and some other perks..plus the miles for opening the card..

United Card does get you 2 lounges passes, but with Sapphire you can move them to United also, even other hotels and airlines.

I have both cards, but SP, is one of my go to cards..United Card, is worth having,

The real way to gain miles is to apply for cards, but that is righting up, still great deals are there,

Nice to see a new face, :cool:

7. txsitka

txsitka New Member

Status Points:
    I really appreciate the help and the response!!!

satman40 likes this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you,

I am 76, and over 50 years ago started my business using credit cards,

Credit cards were easy to get, business loans were not.. the air miles were not always there, but there were always creative rewards.,

The last 50 years, the miles have taken me to other countries and hotel stays that I would never dream of, best of all I have been able to gift miles to friends and family.

The rewards are there for very little effort, my best rewards have been gifting the miles, at my age home is best,

mevlannen likes this.
  9. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    While travelling on Air Canada, make sure to indulge in creative routing, so as to maximise miles/segments (but not cost). Although hours may be added to your travels, the views out the windows are a great way to get a glimpse of places where you have never been.

Skip the pretzels, though.