Need help with AA and BA situation

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by foxberg, Jan 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, not sure where to post this, but I'll try in this and BA forums. I'll try to be as short as possible. My friend and her daughter were traveling to London. JFK-BOS on AA and BOS-LHR on BA. The flight was on January 1st. At JFK when they checked in at the kiosk the machine gave then boarding passes only until BOS. They were later told by the AA attendant that they'd get BOS-LHR BP at BOS. At BOS BA agant told them that they never checked in and that the check in is closed, there was one hour remaining until the flight. They said it was AA mistake made at JFK and BA is "not responsible for AA mistakes" (nice OW partner, I have to say). BA offered 9:25PM flight, but then said it was overbooked and even on the stand by there was no chance. They were told to go to AA counter (at a different terminal) and speak to them since that was their problem. When they got there the counter there was no one there. About 20 min later an AA employee showed up. The woman looked at the computer and said that BA should have put them on that flight, there were empty seats available in Business. There were no more flights out of BOS that night, no any flights to JFK. They were not able to retrieve their luggage because no one knew where it was. They ended up taking a BUS back to New York late at night. Almost a week later she had to drive back to BOS to look for her back because AA could not locate it. And of course, the bag was there all the time.

So, the question is what to do and how to get a refund. Neither AA or BA seem to care at all.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Talk about epic fail.

Was the trip canceled altogether?

gomike, foxberg and jbcarioca like this.
  3. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they had to go back to NY. Unfortunately, I have a status with AA and have to continue to fly them. But I will never step my foot on BA ever again.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most people seem to have good experience with BA, but mine has mirrored yours, as my posts indicate.

there is some small redeeming chance, though. Since you have AA status you might describe the entire situation to them, complete with documentation. AA has on several occasions compensated me for BA errors when BA refused to accept their responsibility. It might not happen, but you've a chance.

foxberg likes this.
  5. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Problem is, they don't have any status with AA or BA.

6. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Confused

Why didn't they check in online (up to 24 hrs ahead) with BA and get BA boarding pass at that time either print at home or emailed to smartphone? BA sends check in reminder emails all the time and if they bought ticket online especially to fill out the passport/advance information.

Sadly I think there is no joy to be had - AA fulfilled their end in getting them to BOS (luggage another story), BA will say missed check-in pax fault but really surprised they didn't put them on another flight that night or next day. I would not leave airport until on flight

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    First question from me: Was this on one booking or two separate bookings? And how far was the bag tagged to? If it was all on one booking and the bag was through-tagged to LHR, then it seems odd that the AA system would not have checked in the pax for BOS-LHR as well at the same time. The arrangements for this should be pretty robust given the JBA.

LETTERBOY likes this.