Need help with AA and BA situation

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by foxberg, Jan 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, not sure where to post this, but I'll try in this and BA forums. I'll try to be as short as possible. My friend and her daughter were traveling to London. JFK-BOS on AA and BOS-LHR on BA. The flight was on January 1st. At JFK when they checked in at the kiosk the machine gave then boarding passes only until BOS. They were later told by the AA attendant that they'd get BOS-LHR BP at BOS. At BOS BA agant told them that they never checked in and that the check in is closed, there was one hour remaining until the flight. They said it was AA mistake made at JFK and BA is "not responsible for AA mistakes" (nice OW partner, I have to say). BA offered 9:25PM flight, but then said it was overbooked and even on the stand by there was no chance. They were told to go to AA counter (at a different terminal) and speak to them since that was their problem. When they got there the counter there was no one there. About 20 min later an AA employee showed up. The woman looked at the computer and said that BA should have put them on that flight, there were empty seats available in Business. There were no more flights out of BOS that night, no any flights to JFK. They were not able to retrieve their luggage because no one knew where it was. They ended up taking a BUS back to New York late at night. Almost a week later she had to drive back to BOS to look for her back because AA could not locate it. And of course, the bag was there all the time.

So, the question is what to do and how to get a refund. Neither AA or BA seem to care at all.

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not clear if the flyer has contacted anyone from either airlines customer relations section. Have they done anything outside of talking to employees at the airport? if they have, and have not been successful, this might be a situation where it is best to go directly to the DOT complaint route. Marketing alliances and codeshares are not supposed to work like this (the word "seamless" comes to mind) and a DOT complaint might push one or both carriers to make your friends whole. I'd also followup with written complaints with both AA and BA covering exactly what has transpired and asking for a full refund. You could also consider a chargeback on the credit card used for not providing services. You have certain time restraints under the Fair Credit Billing Act so pay careful attention to those.
    http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0219-disputing-credit-card-charges
    http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/file-consumer-complaint

Failing all those, you might contact Chris Elliott, who handles a lot of complaints regarding airlines, and see if he might be an advocate for you.
    http://elliott.org/

Good luck.

Tom in Madrid

xhunter33x, foxberg and iolaire like this.
  3. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you!

xhunter33x likes this.
  4. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remarkable. A suggestion to send a complaint to the DoT for someone who failed to get a boarding pass before flight close-out. A fine example of the culture of blame; it's always someone else's fault.

brodyf and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Failed to get a boarding pass??? They were told by the AA agent at JFK to get the pass at BOS!!! You don't happen to work for AA, do you?

6. xhunter33x

xhunter33x Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that their relationship is rather tenuous. When traveling to Copenhagen in November (LAS-JFK-LHR-CPH) the 'handoff' at Heathrow was questionable at best. I ran off the plane and went to through immigration and customs to go outside to smoke while my 89 year old mother was whisked away on an electric cart to the area from which our next flight was to depart. An hour later I was back in the airport near the gate and the lounge and there was no sight of my mother. Our layover was six hours and she barely made the connection. They had her in a basement area and all but strip searched her. I am not exaggerating. They apparently thought she was a 'drug mule' or some such thing because she had my carry on bags too. In any case, AA was much more sympathetic to her plight so I might work with them. Also, sometimes it is just a matter of finally reaching the one person who understands the situation. I wish you the best of luck with this one, my friend.

7. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any time I have booked a flight on AA that included BA-operated segments, they have always given me boarding passes from origin to destination even with layovers no matter which airline operated each flight (AA to my connection, then BA to Europe). I have no idea why they did not do this on the experience you posted. I've been flying AA bought/BA flown TATL flights for almost 4 years and never had this kind of problem. It sounds really unfortunate. :(

foxberg and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, after filing a complaint with the DOT, AA agreed to reimburse the cost of the tickets. I guess that's the end of this story. Thanks to those who tried to help.

B1BomberVB, enichols22124 and estnet like this.