Need help! Waitlisted for SWU.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Epson187, Jan 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. I called AA Exec Plat desk to use SWU for my husband and I and there were no auto upgrade seats available for the flight we had selected. I told them to put us on the waitlist as they said the flight looked good (meaning there were a lot of seats still available). I would have booked another flight, but this one is direct from ORD to Rome and was on sale. The flight leaves on a Tues and comes back on a Weds (May 1-May 9). I am getting nervous as I want to make sure we are upgraded and think I should have looked for another flight. Has anyone had this happen and what do you think our chances are of being upgraded?

zpaul and TheBeerHunter like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP Epson187.

In the last 4 years, I've only had 1 flight where my SWU did not clear. In that case, I requested my upgrade only a week before flying.

I think most EXPs will tell you that being wait listed is very common. Fortunately, so is being cleared.

Why not use a service to check upgrade space before buying? A company like KVS or Expertflyer can look at your intended flights and tell you if your upgrade will clear at purchase or not.

Good luck.

Sagy, zpaul and TheBeerHunter like this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's no rhyme or reason when AA releases upgrade inventory. You could clear weeks out, at the gate, or not at all. I've done well selecting my flights with inventory available at booking, but Rome in May may not offer that option.

If you had some flexibility you might have been able to clear AA flights to/from London in advance just because there are so many flights there each day. That would involve a BA connection in coach and paying the BA fuel surcharge LHR-FCO. You might also be able to do something similar with AA into Madrid and Iberia on to FCO from there.

zpaul and TheBeerHunter like this.
  4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Epson187,

I hate waitlisting to use our eVIPs too, just because it feels a bit like a lottery...you aren't sure whether you're going to win or lose. However, like DestinationDavid implies, NOT clearing seems more unusual than clearing -- though you do sometimes have to wait until very close to flight time before you know whether you'll get the upgrades or not.

No one can tell you for sure what the odds are that you'll clear, but based on anecdotal evidence from other EXPs, you shouldn't sweat it too much. :)

zpaul likes this.
  5. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    the only time I will do a WL is if nothing else can be confirmed then and there. So I would have asked what if any other AA flight could have been confirmed and then checked out how much more $$ if any it would have cost me tkt wise and ground transfers eg LGA-JFK

6. Thanks everyone! I will keep my fingers crossed!:)