Need help using mileage plus with other airlines

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by neptwoon, Feb 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. neptwoon

neptwoon New Member

Status Points:
    i am glad I found this forum because I'm really confused. I have enough mileage plus miles to fly from US mainland to Central America on UAL. However, I tried to confirm it with the interactive chart, but for some reason I can't select Central America.

I'm wondering if I could use my Mileage plus and redeem them using another airline to fly to Central America (Guatemala)

2. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The short answer is yes. The interactive chart is dumb. United has two different award charts, one for flights on United metal and the other for Star Alliance partner metal. The Star Alliance partner chart is significantly more expensive.

Can I ask how many UA miles do you have? What airports are you looking to fly to/from? What airlines do you want to fly? And what class of service?

3. neptwoon

neptwoon New Member

Status Points:
    Oh thanks for taking the time. Yeah, the stupid Alex Automated dummy. Its irritating but heck better than talking to anybody in India or the Phillipines. I have 40k miles it would buy me enough to fly to CA. I'd rather fly to Quito but don't have enough. I just purchased a gift certificate using my milages in order to extend the expiration date on my miles.

I think this will remove the pressure to fly by April 2014. I think I might earn more miles to get me to the North part of SA. I'm flying out Seat and more than likely will be flying UAL yikes. I don't have enuff miles so it will be cattle service LOL. Ah first class. I was upgraded recently from Seat to NBO on Lufthansa FREE FREE.....

Based on what you said, I don't think I will pursue using The Star Alliance partners. I'm rather new using mileages since I buy my tickets from the cheapest place that I can find

flyforawg likes this.
  4. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    No worries. We all buy the cheapest tickets we can find. Quick tip for next time, there are many ways to extend the life of your expiring miles. You can use the UA shopping portal to buy something online that would normally buy anyways or use the dining rewards program. Each will add a few miles to your mileage bank and will extend the expiration date of all your miles. No need to buy a gift certificate.

5. neptwoon

neptwoon New Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I just learned about it and jumped at it right away. I was not aware about this trick. As it turned out I used 500 miles and bought a Gift Certificate and that extended my expiration date by 18 mos. To be honest, I didn't see anything online for me to buy, so I went ahead and wasted 500 miles, but at least I extended the expiration date on my miles.

Now I can relax and take the time to earn more miles and be more selective about my destination. But as you said UAL's website is the not the easiest to navigate.

I have no idea why in the World you have to contact the stupid automated Alex to get something.

6. neptwoon

neptwoon New Member

Status Points:
    Oh thanks, believe me I just started to learn some of the ropes. I seldom buy a ticket with the same airlines because I look for price not the mileages but I went on a long trip last year and took advantage of the distance. I hope you can take advantage and do the same as I did.