Need help understanding partner awards with Avios

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by DebraI, Jul 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,
    I live in Edmonton, Alberta, and I'm trying to understand how to use my Avios points for travel in North America. The only partner that flies into Edmonton (that I know of) on their own metal is Alaska. The only problem is that there are automatically two legs to each one way trip anywhere in the States, unless my final destination is Seattle.

So just to explore other options, I'm hoping someone can answer the question about AA codeshare flights on Westjet operated planes. Do they qualify for Avios awards? Westjet is not a partner of BA directly, and when I read the award rules my eyes start to glaze over.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. :)

Deb

thrashsoundly likes this.
  2. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Firstly, the westjet flights are NOT available for earning or spending Avios (even under the AA flight number).

From a look of this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_International_Airport#Airlines_and_destinations
    It looks like it is only Alaska from YEG.

To book Alaska award flights using Avios, you need to do it by phone with BA, you can't do them on BA.com

But for checking if the flights are available as awards, I think you can do it on Alaskas website, or possible AA.com - I can't remember which one it is, but there are threads on that, how to check for Alasaka award space. Which should enable you to plan your bookings before phoning. [Do check the theads, not all types of Alaska award seats will be avialble to partners - BA]

For working out how many Avios required, put your your joureny into here:
    http://www.britishairways.com/travel/avios-calculator/public/en_ca
    - sector by sector

So, if you want to fly from YEG, you will begin YEG-SEA.
    In economy this comes back as:
    4500 Avios + 0 Cash + Taxes and Charges
    (the 0.00 cash figure is because you can't do Part-Cast-Part-Avios which would bring down the Avios figure in exchange for some cash with Alaska Airlines awards, you still need to pay taxes and charges)

Then, put your next sector in, SEA to .... and add the Avios figures together.
    Avios bookings are now priced (in Avios) by adding the sector costs together.
    Taxes and charges will vary though, due to the rules coverning them being based upon your journey between formal stopovers, etc..

I have one final bit of possibly bad news, I *think* there are still rules in place saying:
    If you book with one of the (non-one-world) partners (i.e. Alaska) the only other flights you can have in the same booking are more flights from the same partner (Alaska) and/or British Airways flights.

So, if you also wanted to use AA flights, you would (if that rule is still in effect) need to change to a separate booking when doing so (I'd imagine at SEA), this should not affect your Avios cost, but obviously you loose the benefits of protection if all on one booking.
    [For one-world partners, you can have multiple one-world partners in one Avios booking, with or without BA.]

Hope that makes sense/helps.

3. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for the response! I kept checking and for some reason your response didn't show up in my alerts at the top of the page. This is a great tutorial... thanks so much for making a complicated program make sense!

thrashsoundly likes this.
  4. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just wondering something very similar (Alaska flights using BA miles). Thanks for the info!