Need help understanding I K benefit

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Aditya Vyas, Jun 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    All,

I was reading thru some of 1K benefits and had couple of questions. If these have been answered somewhere please quide me to them. Thanks in advance.

Items
    1)Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets & Instant upgrades on M-class economy tickets:-- Do you still need to use ones GPU or you are mercy of availability
    2) Access to most sold-out flights:- What does this mean? as any one availed of this?

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Y/B/M upgrades come out of a different fare bucket (PN for B/M and JN for Y). If you're elite and buy a Y or B fare when there is space in the appropriate upgrade bucket, you can automatically upgrade at that time without the need of an instrument like an RPU or waiting for the CPU process to run. This is only available on domestic and other flights where CPU is offered, thus not being marketed as having BusinessFirst service.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  3. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    And to add to the Y/B/M upgrade bucket, those passengers have priority over others should an upgrade not become available. So a 1k on a full Y fare should have priority over a Global Services passenger on a discount coach fare if the upgrade didn't clear at the time of booking.

As far as the access to most sold out flights benefit, they guarantee to see you a full Y or B fare on any flight even if one is sold out...but you need to do so at least 90 minutes prior to flight departure. I have used this feature a few times when I just had to get somewhere in a hurry and wasn't worried about the fare.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  4. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys for your help. Would Definately try to get on one of sold out flights one of these. Currently its seems all flights are full especially to Asia !

5. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    the Y/B/M upgrades only apply to domestic USA flights. There are no free upgrades on flights to Asia.
    If you want to upgrade those flights, you will still need a GPU or miles/money

IDGflygirl likes this.
  6. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Small correction, Y/B upgrades to Asia will require miles but no co-pay. International M upgrades do require a co-pay.

snod08 likes this.
  7. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    correct!

8. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're at the mercy of availability, and I (as a Silver) get the same perk (on Y or B), instant upgrade at the time of booking (assuming space available). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the instant upgrade perk is for all elite tiers, the additional benefit of 1K being that it includes 'M' fares.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Y/B "force" is not on all flights 90 minutes out. They can - and have, from time to time - refused to oversell flights more than they are already oversold. There is a slightly different benefit for GS related to a canceled flight, but that's not this.

As for the Y/B/M-UPs, it is based on how the flight is marketed and does not strictly follow international/domestic lines. EWR-HNL is domestic but does not permit Y-UPs while IAH-CCS is international and does. As Mackieman noted CPU-eligible routes should also support this benefit.

This is correct.

10. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    This doesnt help if you are looking to go on an award tkt, its rev only. And a full fare to anywhere in Asia is anything but cheap.Youd be better off flying on another carrier then UA, unless you dont care about paying 10x the fare.

11. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 10x fare might help on gs qualification.

12. unroadwarrior
    Original Member

unroadwarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be making 1K later this month after a IAD-NRT flight. I know what I will get when I hit 1K. What benefits do I get for hitting 1.25k? Just more RPUs? DO I get GPUs too? I will get to 1.25k by the end of the year and am trying to decide whether to continue earning on United post hitting 1K or earn Gold on Aegean for domestic lounge access? What will be higher value?

13. FlyerChrisK

FlyerChrisK Silver Member

Status Points:
    You get RPUs at every 25k EQM, starting at 75k.

You get two GPUs for every 50k EQM after 100k.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What value do you place on lounge access for domestic travel. For me that's virtually nil and pushing the miles over to A3 means not crediting them where I can redeem them reasonably so I wouldn't do it (and haven't done it).

traveltoomuch and unroadwarrior like this.
  15. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    It means that if you're willing to pay full Y, they'll create inventory on a flight for you. You'll need to do this over the phone.

I've done it. I even found a case where the Y fare was less than B -- probably because the B fare was being split in the connecting city, but the Y was end-to-end in a market with more competition. It took quite a while on the phone, at least one agent refused to try, but it eventually worked.

16. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Check in times for international flights mean that a considerable time is spent in the terminal, whereas that's not the case for domestic flights. So there really seems little point, especially as the UC is not exactly a lovely and peaceful place to hang out.

traveltoomuch likes this.