Need Help Timing A Large Puchase

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by brucewil, Sep 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have both the Chase BA card and the Citi Hilton Reserve cards. The BA comes with the "travel together" ticket after $30K spend and the Citi Hilton come with Diamond status after a $40K spend. I should be able to reach both spend levels, so my question has to do with the timing of a large purchase to maximize the spend. I think the travel together ticket is good for two years. I don't plan on using it until 2014. When does the clock start on the two years? When would Diamond status end? If I made the purchase that puts me over the min spend this year, would it end Dec of 2013? If I wait until Jan will it end in Dec 2013 or 2014? Please advise.

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The BA certificate lasts two years from the date of issue. It is usually issued a few weeks after you hit the $30k threshold in a given calendar year.

3. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to be clear, when you say Calendar year, I am assuming you mean "my" calendar year, not Jan-Dec. What about the Diamond status?

4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you received Diamond status now it would be good through March 2014 (although some people have received 2 years so you may luck out and get it valid through March 2015).

5. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    So exactly how long is the status good for? It seems like you are saying 18 months. Otherwise I don't understand why March 2014. That seems kind of random.

6. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    hilton status is for the rest of the calender year you earn it, plus the next full callender year, plus through the end of march the following year, so say you get the citi reserve card in jan 2013 and meet the 40k spend in the first two weeks, you would get diamond the rest of 2013, and the full 2014, and thru march 2015.
    so the sooner you get hilton diamond the longer it lasts

7. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for that explanation. Now it makes sense.