Need help redeeming for Bolivia & Chile

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by UltranerdX, Jul 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. UltranerdX

UltranerdX Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all. I'm in the process of trying to redeem for 2 flights to South America next April and I'd love some advice for the best way to get it done. Here are the basics:
    • Leaving from WAS (DCA is most convenient, but I can do BWI/IAD too)
    • Going to Bolivia (LPB) and Chile (SCL) -- fly into one and out of the other, order doesn't really matter
    • Add leg to or from SCL & CJC in the middle (for a trip to Salar de Uyuni)
    Here's what each of us have (roughly):
    • 100k+ AA
    • 100k+ BA
    • 100k+ UA (me) /50k UA (him)
    • 150k+ DL
    So few airlines fly to La Paz, and I'm just trying to wrap my head around where to start for this. I'm open to one-ways on separate airlines, but I'm want to find out which airlines' award search engines would work best for finding availability. Admittedly I've only ever booked SkyTeam awards, so I'm a novice at using these other (more valuable) alliances' tools. Considering an ExpertFlyer subscription. All tips are appreciated :) Thanks in advance!

2. tfd

tfd Silver Member

Status Points:
    SCQ -- you mean Santiago de Chile right? Which would be SCL.

With TACA joining Star, you can enter LPB on both with Oneworld (AA from Miami or LAN via Lima) or Star on TACA via Lima.

Use the BA.COM and check segment by segment for LPB for Oneworld. TACA, I believe availability is displayed on United.

For SCL - it is a lot easier with both Oneworld and Star. In general - LAN, part of Oneworld has very good availability to the US.

For SCL - CJC. Its 6000 miles each way with AA miles or 7500 Avois. You might also check to see how much it cost to just buy the ticket with Chile's low cost carrier Sky.

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great trip idea. I'd love to visit Chile someday too, so hope you'll share a trip report afterwards.
    If you're adventurous, you could take a scenic land route from Calama to Santiago. I haven't researched the specifics, but understand that South America has a network of comfortable intercity sleeper buses. As a bonus, you'll avoid the SCL airport arrival tax on US citizens.

4. UltranerdX

UltranerdX Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you so much for your help! This helps a lot. And you're right, I meant SCL--sorry for the typo.

5. UltranerdX

UltranerdX Active Member

Status Points:
    Good point on the buses and arrival tax. I don't know if we'll have time for the scenic route, but I imagine it would be great. I'll definitely look into it. My understanding is that the bus system in Bolivia is a mess, at best, so hopefully Chile's is better.

6. tfd

tfd Silver Member

Status Points:
    With your Delta miles, another option would be flying into LIM with DL and out of SCL with either AR or DL. From LIM, use Avois, AA or UA miles to redeem for LPB with LAN or Taca.

7. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Buses may be a viable option only in Argentina and Chile. I agree that it's best to avoid them in Bolivia.