Need help on using my Starwood Credit Card.......

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Beachgirl07, Mar 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Beachgirl07

Beachgirl07 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be giving my son $5000 dollars to purchase a used car. I hate to just give him cash without
    utilizing a way to benefit on my new Starwood Credit Card . What is the best way I can maximize my spend on this transaction?

2. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you are at the dealership, ask the finance mgr what amount you can put on a credit/charge card.
    When we purchased a car a couple of years ago, the dealership allowed us to only charge $10,000 to any card/cards - so we could not charge, say, $10k each to 10 different cards. The amount you can charge may vary by dealership (not manufacturer). We will be purchasing a new car in the next few weeks and will again try to charge whatever we can for max points.:D
    As an aside, my friends' family owned a Lincoln-Mercury dealership in the 80's and they allowed a woman to charge $60k to her AmEx.

gregm likes this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    5 is the max I have been able to apply, you could also do Serve Payment to the bank on a 180 day renewable note...and CC the full amount..

Bought a Piper Arrow many years ago like that, but it was before Serve....

You have it easier now to gain miles....

4. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could also send $1000 to him for free via Amazon Payment and purchase $4K in OneVanilla gift cards and use them to buy 2 MOs of $2K each. This would cost you a total $43 but he would then have $5000 cash in his bank account. Then he could use that money as a down payment or if they do allow a credit card for $5K he could use his own points credit card and use the $5K that is now in his bank to pay it off. The easiest is clearly to just see if you can put $5K on your card but if not this should work.

5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is just another great use for the Amex Serve Card check payment function, the SPG at 5k would give you 6250 miles on AA,

5k I would just ask for a 3% discount for cash,

6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or you could send him the $5,000 via PayPal and fund the payment from your Starwood AMEX. He'd get a bit less after paying the transaction fee (about 2.5%, I think) but you could cover that by paying the transaction fee at your end, or by sending a larger amount (e.g., $5150).

7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just make sure to negotiate the price FIRST. Then discuss paying whatever portion in credit if that's how you're going to do it. Otherwise they may just raise the price enough (maybe more than enough) to compensate and you're losing money on the deal.

8. Kelly Pole

Kelly Pole New Member

Status Points:
    Amazed by suggestion given here.