Need help on United existing reservations

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by mooeyjc, Jul 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mooeyjc

mooeyjc Active Member

Status Points:
    Long story short, I obviously had a brain-dead moment and booked a ticket to New Orleans in August on the weekend when my mom's birthday falls on the same day.

Couple days later I realized that mistake, and apparently it was too late...so I called united and asked the possibility of change the ticket, and it turned out the amount I need to pay to change it is $200 plus the new ticket price minus what I have paid which is nearly double the original amount. I'd be a fool to make that change...

I know most airlines have raised the change fee tremendously lately. I just didn't prepare to get hit myself.

I am humbly ask the Milepoint community, is there any other alternatives other than throwing the money out of the window (obviously I won't be making the trip)...

Thank you.

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could take mom with you on the trip as a birthday present.

I don't know any way to get out of the change fee under your circumstances, but someone else may have an idea.

3. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:

I think the standard advice for such problems is that you don't need to cancel until the day of departure. Lots of stuff can happen before; schedule changes, cancellations, etc., all things that could result in an unacceptable (to you) change, and thus you could demand you money back. Now, if you live in Pittsburgh, like I do, this will almost always be a sure thing, but if you live a city properly served by United, then it might not work out for you. I advise you to read United's CoC in addition to the conditions on your fare.

4. mooeyjc

mooeyjc Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks MSYgirl, in fact I am going to MSY;)
    If i am taking my mom with me, i am gonna have to take my dad as well....

5. mooeyjc

mooeyjc Active Member

Status Points:

Thanks a lot cvarming.

I guess the only thing i can do is just wait it out.

What if I just simply not going? Does United do anything to my ticket? I have never done a no show to a airline ticket, just wondering what will happen.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you simply no-show then the value of the ticket is lost. No big deal, other than the money you spent.

mooeyjc likes this.
  7. mooeyjc

mooeyjc Active Member

Status Points:

Thank you for your quick response, WA!

So, there is nothing I can do except either wait it out in hope for some schedule change or pay the change fee?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is my experience.

mooeyjc likes this.
  9. mooeyjc

mooeyjc Active Member

Status Points:

Thanks WA, appreciate the tips.

10. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Waiting is one of the things you can do. Depending on how much you paid, you might better off buying a new ticket on another airline.

While waiting, take a look at travel.bing.com and put in the dates you want to fly. Bing has an interesting feature that give a tip on if the price of those flights is likely to go up or down based on past history. I use this as a guide to decide if I should wait.

If you have status with united, they allow you to change the flight 24 hours or less prior to departure. So wait till 24 hour before, and call and get the flight pushed out 1 day without paying the $200. If there is a fare difference, you will have to pay that.

Kudos on you staying for your moms birthday. Family is more important then money in the long run.

mooeyjc likes this.
  11. mooeyjc

mooeyjc Active Member

Status Points:

Thank you Desidivo for the tips on Bing.