Need help on Segments

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by tk106, Oct 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. With United's new 1K qualification rules, I need 120 segments to retain my 1K status. I will be about 15 segments short; any cheap travel ideas that can help accumulate segments? I really don't care where I go.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome!!

Where are you starting?

3. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Use a multicity search and the UA+ advanced routing code at matrix.itasoftware.com. Using ua+ (or dl+, us+, co+, aa+, etc.) will get you the maximum number of allowed segments from point A to point B.

For example, you can go point A to (3 stops) to point B to (3 stops) to point C to (3 stops) to point A and be done. It might also be more easily produced if you price these as three one-ways.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not necessarily. Using "UA+" simply means that the first segment must be on UA and other segments are permissible. If the system finds a lot of single connection flights it may not show all the double connects. If you want to force a minimum of three connections you would put :: UA UA UA UA+ in the advance codes. It might price wacky, as you note, but that's how you would force the additional connections.

harvson3 likes this.
  5. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember that your segments don't need to be on UA to count. At least in the north-east USA, it is really easy to rack up segments out of smaller airports on US.

6. Thanks for the help. I will check it out. I originate from MSN, MKE or ORD.

7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then getting a multi-segment itenerary is extremely easy, as you pretty much get a free segment flying out of MKE, and then just fly somewhere that only offers flights from SFO or LAX. That gets you 3 segments each way.

8. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know it is possible. I feel it is rare, and I have a lot of respect for the effort it takes to achieve status via segments.