need help on MR

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by spinningyinyang, May 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. spinningyinyang

spinningyinyang Active Member

Status Points:
    i'm a collge student based in ATL. Every year i fly 30000-40000 miles which guarantees me a gold on AA. So i consider why not hit PLA since that's where the nice things are.

I started to check on FC, ITA and even bought a ExpertFlyer, still cant find any good fare ( 3 CPM or below...) too bad so sad...

Anyone can teach me how to do it based ATL? or ATL is just bad for AA?

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, ATL IS DL territory, which could be good if there's not a large AA FF base competing for upgrades. AA and BA (to London) are your only OW options ex-ATL.

ATL-LON-ATL is about 8400 miles r/t if you can find a good deal. Try the BA Deals Site. For flights on any partner airlines, be sure to check the accrual for the fare class...depending on if you're going after EQP or EQM.

Websites to try include Kayak and FareCompare. Keep in mind that AA does not show up on all 3rd party sites.

3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You may consider taking a positioning flight to start your MR since you're leaving from a DL hub. I don't fly AA much, but I've always had good luck with last minute fares. Have fun!

4. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA prices lately have been insanely high, for the most part. But there are always deals to be had. You likely will not find 3 cents per mile, but 4 should happen before end of year. Even consider taking a weekend trip, or something at 6cpm to get the small amount you need. The difference between gold and plat is pretty big in the miles earned and lounge access for intl trips. Plus if you buy a AC membership, its another $50 off. So factor all the benefits you're picking up vs the price. Yes 3/eqm is what a MR wants, but is it still worth it to you to pay $600 for a trip to London for the weekend and earn the status at the same time? These are other things to consider.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    More miles for less $$ is always a good thing! :D

6. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    ATL could be good for AA if AA gets angry at DL and starts a fare war... Still, from a "fortress hub" for a major airline, it will be hard to find the same bargains that someone in LAX or NYC can find.

Are you in ATL in the summer, during the school year, or both? Do you have an address in another state that you could use to take advantage of a residency-based DEQM promo?

What cities are you flying to when you accumulate the 30-40k? It may be possible to do some creative routing there. Also, for those flights, what is your usual number of segments and points?

7. spinningyinyang

Status Points:
    Okay, i'm an international student at Emory. Hometown is Shanghai, PVG. so flying back to China 2-3 times a year would make me around 30-40k EQM. So during school year i'd be in ATL, in summer like now, I'm in Shanghai, which doesnt have any oneworld member hub

8. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cathay down in hong kong is One World. Possibly worth a positioning flight or trip to get to HKG? Or look for CX connecting flights?

9. spinningyinyang

Status Points:
    CX's point on AA is just awful... usually 0% on E class...

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you considered DL and SkyTeam, which includes CZ (China Southern)? DL runs a very nice nonstop DTW-PVG, sometimes on the 777-LR, which also flies DTW-HKG nonstop daily. These planes are frequently not full, so that cheap tickets or upgrades with instruments should be possible (but not both with DL, although the upgradeable fares do give 150% status miles and 175% Silver or 250% Gold and Plat redeemable miles). IME connections into mainland China through HKG are not cheap and are not easily available on CX (rather than DragonAir or a one of the mainland airlines) DL also runs a daily ATL-NRT with good connections into PVG and HKG. Award tickets using DL miles should be pretty easy using the CZ LAX-CAN flight; if blackout dates aren't involved, there's also Korean through ICN.