Need help getting to New Zealand in Jan 2015

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by arizonablue, Oct 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. arizonablue

arizonablue New Member

Status Points:
    I have a wedding to attend in New Zealand in Jan 2015, my problem is that the miles I have are in the One World alliance. The best option is ANZ but flying out of Lax to New Zealand is part of the Star Alliance, therefore for me the only is to fly via Australia using on Qantas. Everything is blacked out for award tickets to Australia on Qantas in January, I have checked with US Airways dividend miles and they suggest I could go through Hong Kong on Cathy Pacific then on to New Zealand. Unfortunately I don't have enough miles to do that but was wondering if its worth using miles on a one way trip and getting home another way?

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are trying to travel with three months notice on award tickets at high season for that region...( two close friends are going to Melbourne for NYE were lucky to snag their tickets well over six months ago) is going to be difficult with some re-routing and diligent planning.

One workable option may be AA or LAN to SCL and then LAN on to AKL however if you are looking for business awards LAN rarely releases more than one seat SCL/AKL.

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you really want to pursue an OW award ticket that late in the game, try a segment search with a stop at SYD, BNE, or HNL. You may need to spend one or several days at an intermediate location -- and such an option would not show up if you just input your origin and final destination.

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    A non-obvious option is Air Tahiti Nui (LAX-PPT-AKL).