Need help getting ticket booked with travel agent reissued

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Valentine, Jul 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello all,

Not sure where to post this, but since it's not FFP-related or even airline-centric (I believe it's more Galileo/booking system-related), I was hoping this would be suitable. Please feel free to move this!

I'm in a bit of a rut regarding one of my unused tickets at the moment. My ticket's valid for a year (according to Royal Jordanian), but I had the idiocy of booking it with Netflights, which issued it with a booking code BT, effectively locking RJ out from making any changes to it. RJ has told me to contact Netflights regarding ticket reissues.

My flight was supposed to be in January, but I missed it (long story). Netflights uses the Galileo booking system, and they claimed when I called yesterday that my booking doesn't exist on their system any longer, and therefore are unable to make any changes to it.

Short of booking a new ticket, what would I be able to do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Normally when you have a travel agency booked ticket, the airline will tell you to talk to that agency for changes. The agency can 'push' the reservation back over to the airline, effectively giving up their commission. In this case there is no longer a reservation since travel dates are passed. The agency should, however, be able to look up the booking either by ticket number or if they have their own internal reference number in addition to the airline record locator.

Separately, RJ can certainly take over the ticket. They may not want to. But they can. I recently had an Expedia-booked ticket that Expedia couldn't change. The airline couldn't even figure out how to change it, it was a trip that had already begun where some future segments had been upgraded. It took an airline supervisor working with a rate desk supervisor to figure out how to do it. Since it was an agency-booked ticket, the airline charged me a $25 fee to take it over.

IDGflygirl and Valentine like this.
  3. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestion.

My problem right now is that the people I spoke to at the travel agency (Netflights) seemed to harp a lot on them using the Galileo booking system, and how bookings on it disappear once the travel date has passed. They were able to retrieve my transaction using my invoice number, but not amend the booking.

I suppose I'll have to try and get RJ to take over the ticket. Would you have any suggestions on how I may be able to persuade them to do so (and also, since you mention that the travel agency would have to give up their commission to push the ticket back to the airline, how that can be achieved)?

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    A PNR always disappears after the flights on it have passed, unless there's a dummy segment tagged onto the end to keep it live. That's not surprising or strange.

I don't know RJ's policy on tickets when you miss a flight, eg some airlines require you to cancel prior to flight departure in order to retain credit.

Assuming your still have a ticket with value, and if the travel agency says they cannot apply the unused value of your ticket towards a new itinerary, tell RJ that the agency says only the airline can rebook. If they push back, conference the two (agency/airline) together and ask them to figure it out.

5. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your help, gleff.

Just to follow-up, I had a new reservation made through the Amman office, and was scheduled to fly two weeks ago. Another problem came up though:

I was refused check-in for the flights, as I was unable to present a credit card ending with a certain series of numbers. The RJ airport services manager explained that I was refused check-in as my ticket was suspended, and that I had to present two credit cards during check-in: the one which I used to pay for the change in reservation, and the other one mentioned above, which I have never owned.

No indication was made to me of my ticket suspension when I spoke to the Amman office, which meant that I paid a change fee of 50 GBP and a fare difference of 38 GBP for nothing.

I went through my credit card statements and found the one I used to book with Netflights - the credit card used wasn't the mystery one used above. Allegedly, the agency used another credit card (which isn't valid anymore) to book my ticket.

What avenues of recourse would I have in the UK? Should I file a suit in small claims?

6. That's very unusual. One possible explanation is that the agency used one of their own credit cards (presumably one which earns miles or cash back) to book the ticket. If so, they would be in violation of IATA Resolution 890 (Card Sales Rules), which states in section 1.4:

(see https://www2.iata.org/Sites/FMC/Files/reso_890.pdf for the full text)

7. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've just found the time to speak to the agency, and it appears that this was precisely what they did i.e. use another credit card to do the booking with the airline. The lady on the phone made it sound like it was common practice, however.

What forms of recourse would I have?

8. Call the airline and inform them of what happened. Mention IATA Resolution 890. Try to speak to a supervisor and/or the revenue accounting department. The agency is in very likely in violation of their sales agreement with RJ if they did not use your credit card to make the booking.

9. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    After sending lengthy emails around Royal Jordanian and cc'ing their Management Board, this was the reply I got from them. Frankly, I'm quite baffled at the results of their "thorough investigation" - and the phone numbers of both Mr George Attia and Ms Noelle Thomas don't work.

RJ Email.png

I'm still thinking what my next step should be, since I'm prepared to go all the way to Small Claims (or higher) if that's what it takes to recover the almost-700 GBP I spent on a one-way ticket back.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    What about a credit card dispute with the agent? RJ says there's value & the agent won't help, so charge it back to the agent.