Need help for summer trip NYC -> HKG -> CKG -> NYC

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by corz123, Feb 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Hey guys. Would really like some input on a trip I'm putting together for my father this July.

Here are the details for the trip...
    I'd like to book a flight to Chongqing, China on any start starting after 7/7 from NYC. I'd also like to book a brief 3-5 day stopover in Hong Kong or Taipei before going to Chongqing on the inbound flight. Then return back to NYC from Chongqing after in either economy or premium cabin. The total duration of the trip would ideally be 14-28 days including the stopover. Whew...that was a mouthful...
    I have the following points:
    ~270k Ultimate Reward Miles (xferable to United)
    ~65 k AMEX MR points
    ~40000 US Airway Points x 2 (2 different accounts)
    ~50000 Citi Thank you Points
    ~175k BA Miles
    ~120k SPG Points (xferable to AA)
    ~35k Delta Airlines miles
    Also, I was wondering how to get flights on some of the nicer Asian airlines like Cathay or Air Singapore? The ticket is for my father and he doesn't travel much so I'd like him to be as comfortable as possible. Thanks in advance guys!
  2. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Happy New Year! You have plenty of miles to book. Just trying to find them is the challenge. I would use to check what is available on Star Alliance partners on the dates that you want. Do it one segment (one ways) at a time versus a multi city or return trip.

I haven't checked but use Wikipedia to see which airlines fly out of chongqing. This helps identify which alliances you have at your disposal.

SQ (Singapore air) doesn't stop in HK direct except through California. From JFK you are going via FRA onto SIN and then another connecting back north.

Btw, unless it is further out I rarely find tickets on CX Y. I have better luck finding a premium ticket. Not a bad thing. You can use your BA or AA miles to book it. AA's award chart cheaper than BA. Use the Qantas award tool to check.

Good luck!
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

I just did a month-long trip in Asia that included some of the cities (HKG, TPE) that you are considering. Your best bet might be Star Alliance carriers for which you seem to have plenty of miles for premium cabins. I do not think that you would be able to redeem on SQ because it would make the trip quite long, since the itinerary would quite likely require that you first go to the main SQ hub in SIN. So, if your first stop is HKG and you want to go to CKG, SQ would first take you to SIN before re-routing you to CKG, a detour that would add several hours to the trip. Your best bet might be to fly into HKG with a US carrier (UA would be a good choice since it has daily LGA-ORD-HKG or JFK-SFO-HKG flights), and then you would redeem on CA to fly to CKG (been there, done that), which will also likely require that you first go to one of CA hubs at PEK or CTU but should be acceptable. From HKG, I think that you might also be able to redeem on CX, but my advice would be that you go with CA, which has decent C or F cabins. Consolidating your miles would allow you to book only premium cabins and have plenty of RDMs left...

Good luck!