Need help finding avaliablility from China to Canada, also if I can route through Europe?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by jumbo_cards, Jul 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys,

I need to get my mom back to Canada from China in August, unfortnately, every flight out of the major cities in China is not avaliable anymore for the month of August.

The depature is CKG and the Destination is YYZ.

The phone attendent I called was able to find me a first reward via europe (CKG->PEK->LHR->YYZ), the last leg is economy however. But the bigger problem is that she really needs to get back before the 20th.

So I'm hoping anyone here with better experience in finding some routing for me? I can afford economy, bus or first one way, I just need to get her back to Canada before the 20th. Out of pocket cash one way ticket is a wooping 1200 for economy right now :(

Would it help if I post to the star alliance thread?

2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously one can route via Europe but seat availability in the heaviest vacation travel month for the northern hemisphere will be hard to come by in any class of service. You might find some last minute F space on LH or Air China but that will be a gamble. If she really has to be somewhere on the 20th, you should have booked a year ago! Or get ready to pay for a revenue ticket.

3. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems more than a bit unusual that all August flights are full. Check again and/or give somebody a call. Don't forget to check Air China.

You might also consider flying her via the US to Buffalo. It is likely cheaper.

4. jumbo_cards

Status Points:
    Who would of known August is that bad :( There is absolutely no award availability via pacific at all. I'm going to do more searching on via Europe with the ANA tool....

5. jumbo_cards

Status Points:
    I see there are more options if I take economy rewards versus business or first (first seems to be very lacking) for Europe. Is it possible for me to get a economy reward through Europe? or do I have to redeem a first?

6. jumbo_cards

Status Points:
    After some intense searching on ANA reward tool. I was able to secure a first class ticket to YYZ via Europe.

Aug 6th,
    CKG-PVG-FRA-YUL-YYZ

Not the best use of miles IMO, but at least the dates worked out well, and I accumulate miles pretty fast so I guess it is alright.