Need help constructing a HNL-IAD fare

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Audy_KTUH, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Audy_KTUH

Audy_KTUH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this post, but I thought since I'm a newbie I should be restricting my fare questions to the newbie section.

My grandmother wants to fly to IAD from HNL to visit some relatives before she gets too old to travel. I offered my assistance as I had some success recently finding good fares on ITA and EF to the west coast.
    I was wondering if the more advance folks here could give me some suggestions for constructing a fare that is a good compromise between cost and comfort. Grandma's on a fixed budget so she doesn't have a lot to spend. She's also not a spring chicken anymore so I don't want to send her through too many airports with short (or really long) connecting times. I also can't send her over when the weather is too cold, I was targeting September, October, or early November.

So far the best compromise I could find was HNL-PHX-DFW-IAD on AA for about $808 around mid September.

Thanks for the help!

Tenmoc, misman and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    United has HNL PHX IAD for $808. takes an extra stop out for her. kayak.com I assumed a 9/15 hnl departure and returning 10 days later or so. The return was IAD-Las-SFO-HNL. A one stop return flight was about 840 R/T. That had the return flight IAD-IAH(HOUSTON)-HNL

3. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint!

Some specific dates (or date ranges) for the HNL-IAD and return will help identify some better options. You're right, you definitely don't want granny hopscotching across the globe for this trip... it is hard enough on those that are young enough to handle it! But I think someone will be able to find a 1-stop routing that will satisfy the budget.

The HNL-PHX legs on both of the above are probably on Hawaiian or US, with the continuing portions on AA or UA. I would suggest avoiding mixing airlines just for ease of her travel. Also, in PHX you *may* end up having to switch terminals which will all but require her to take a bus. Don't take me wrong; I love transiting PHX, but don't think it is right for this situation.

4. Audy_KTUH

Audy_KTUH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the great suggestions.

I was looking at Thursday to Thursday travel in September or October because it seemed to be an affordable time to go according to farecompare.
    Thanks for the good point about switching terminals in PHX. Grandma would probably chew my era off for making her walk a long distance between gates. Although I thought I remember PHX having those carts that take senior citizens to the gates.
    I'll keep looking for some one-stop fares that are sub $800. Am I looking too early right now?

Thanks again for the help

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make sure when you book her ticket that you request special assistance for her when you book the ticket. They will transport on a golf cart or wheel chair if she is not in a position to run a race in the terminal. That takes a lot of stress of my mind when we ship my mother in law around.

6. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Within the terminal, they have the carts, but I don't know what the arrangement is if you have to switch terminals. For example, if your flight from HNL arrives in Terminal 4, but your connection leaves from Terminal 2, you have to exit security, board a bus, ride to T2, and then reclear security.

Definitely 2nd this motion, even if she feels that she doesn't need it. Make her feel like the treasured Tutu wahine that I'm sure she is.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it doesn't make much difference in price, you should try to arrange airports that are easy for connections and especially that don't require the dreaded bus between terminals. As others have said, a single airline or alliance will also make it easier, especially if problems arise.