Need help choosing airlines/program for US - Europe trips

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Maximizer, Nov 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

In 2013, I expect 3 round-trips SFO-VIE, and some occasional travel within Europe from Vienna (I expect to be living there temporarily). I have BA Bronze status (OW first tier), and balances with BA (~185K), UA (~75K), and AA (~50K).

I want easy connections (time is too valuable). Also US airlines connecting through the East Coast seem to be more expensive generally, so my choices seem to be UA, LH, LX, BA, and AF, connecting in European hubs. Of these, LH and Austrian seem to have the best route coverage out of VIE. So *A looks like the natural choice. Any compelling reasons to stick with BA/AA instead? or AF??

Assuming I go with *A, where should I credit the miles? I'm thinking A3, for their easy qualification requirements. In fact I can get A3 Blue this week (after SFO-OGG on UA), and then I could get *A Gold after SFO-VIE-SFO-VIE (1.5 round-trips). The only downside I see is splitting the miles between programs.

What do you all think? Any ideas/considerations I haven't thought of?

Thanks!

Jett Rink likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of cheap fares do not earn 100% on a3. I am assuming you will be travelling in coach? What benefits do you wan from status, and how do you value those relative to redemption options?

3. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    ha, I didn't realize A3 doesn't give 100%. Yes, I am traveling in coach on on low fares.

Lounge access is the only real perk I wanted from A3 status.

It looks like with my level of flying I can only attain the first tier status on whatever airline I choose, which isn't much of a status. Any reason I should pick LH as it sounds like I will be actually flying on LH? I don't know anything about them. Otherwise UA is my default choice, as I will eventually return to the US.

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd just stick with UA. It's not great to have small amounts of miles scattered in multiple programs.

LH's M&M program is best suited for those who do paid premium tickets.

uggboy likes this.