Need help booking award ticket

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by unclesam, Aug 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. unclesam

unclesam Active Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to book the following trip in business class and there is availability in all segments as per expert flyer and united.com:

Sep 10 LH761 DEL-FRA
    Sep 10 LH444 FRA-ATL (4.5 hour connection)
    Nov 29 LH439 DFW-FRA (Open jaw)
    Nov 30 LH104 FRA-MUC (3 hour connection)
    Dec 04 LH762 MUC-DEL (Stopover)

As per my understanding of the routing rules 1 Open jaw and 1 Stopover should be permissible on United RT Award tickets but the UA agent is unable to price it. What am I doing wrong?

Also wanted to know, does United allow change of dates once an award ticket is purchased and can award tickets be put on hold for a day. (no routing change or passenger name change).

A slightly unrelated question:

I was initially trying to book the first 2 segments using Avianca Lifemiles and last 3 segments using United miles because a while back I got sucked into purchasing Lifemiles at 1.5 cents / miles but later realized it is not of as much value as I originally thought so wanted to burn them first however the United return was not bookable because apparently United does not allow stopovers on one way tickets which I didn't know. Now I am stuck with even more miles so if there are any creative ideas on how to use a combination of Avianca and United miles that would be even better.

Any guidance you can provide would be highly appreciated.

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing. Just try another agent and have it done while you wait on the phone.

3. unclesam

unclesam Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I will try again. Also, is there a charge if I later want to change the date of 1 segment in case availability opens up for a day earlier. No other routing change or switching from stopover to connection or vice versa.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Making a change 21 or more days prior to the date of travel (no change to origin/destination)**
    Fee - GM: $75; Prem Gold: No fee; Prem Plat: No fee; 1K: No fee.

Within 21 days of departure everyone but 1Ks must pay a fee that depends on elite level. This chart has the goods.

**Fee will be charged for any change to cabin, award type, carrier, date or time.

5. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you trying to use an overseas agent or a US based agent for this. There have been reports that local call centers have trouble with complex itins.

You might consider skyping the US 800 number (it will be free) if you're getting resistance from an overseas local number.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

desamo likes this.