Need guidance on best card for me

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by iistrell, Sep 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. iistrell

iistrell Member

Status Points:
    Hello, I am looking for guidance on what is best or where to start my journey in collecting points and ultimate rewards to plan a trip in 2016. My wife had a few suggestions such as France, Hawaii, Europe, Turks Caicos, Dubai, etc. Flying from TX, USA.
    Whats the best credit card to get for the better value for right now because I will have to spend extra $5K within next 4 weeks so need a new card now.
    I will also apply for the 100K-150K AMEX business platinum card around Nov considering I will have an expense in January for about $15K.

satman40 likes this.
  2. iistrell

iistrell Member

Status Points:
    No reply from anyone?

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok I will take a quick stab at it. If you are flying from TX (particularly Dallas, Austin or San Antonio) it might be best to get ( in addition to the card(s) mentioned above) one of the AA affiliated cards... both Citi and Barclays offer these cards and since most of the places mentioned by you, are best served by AA.

In addition I would go for the SPG Amex which is IMHO the most versatile card out there since their points can be used in getting hotel room awards in addition to the ability to be able convert them into miles in just about any airline.

The only other advice I can give is to make your decision where want to go pretty soon for 2016... since right now in Sept 2015 a lot of the airline awards for say June/July 2016 are already booked.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi has AA Exec card at 75,000, nice..
    SPG 30 k, and can move to AA @ 1.25, on all spend..

Avios are great for Milage based AA trips.

Barclay is a. Hard hit and not much reward, unless you live an extra card, for me SPG, at 1.25 for my earned AA Miles, and even a few SMGCs..

I also like UA.miles sometimes AA gets .a little silly with their Award a Travel..in one or both directions...

Never put all your eggs in one basket, but limit your cards also..

Depends on the person...I have applied for over 60 cards,

So the game is there for you..

Welcome to the table,

5. iistrell

iistrell Member

Status Points:
    So what are the rules on retaining the points after meeting the criteria for the promotional offer? Do you have to keep the card for a year? Can you cancel b4 annual fee is charged? If you cancel, do you get to retain your reward points or transfer them to something else? Thx in advance

6. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you cancel the card, you could lose all your points unless you transfer. The exceptions are when you have more than one card that earns the same points (e.g. AMEX Plat and AMEX Everyday). As long as you keep one, you keep all your points.

7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can cancel before fee is charged and not lose points as long as they are transferred (as above)

8. iistrell

iistrell Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its hard to gauge what works best since you don't have a destination in mind. But if you're truely new .. then unequivilically I would have to say start with Chase cards, Sapphire Preferred/Freedom/Ink because of their new Rule on limiting approvals once you have 5 New cards in 24M. Other Banks are not as strict so I would start with that first...

satman40 likes this.