Need gift suggestions for a 13yrs old

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Ed Ip, Apr 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

My 13 yrs old niece will be going on a 3 weeks trip to Europe (France, Italy, and Austria...I am more than jealous) this summer with an academic program. These will be the longest flights she has ever been on and without her parents at that. While I can't do anything about her experiences on the ground other than giving her spending money, I would like to get her as much as I can that will make her in-flight experiences as enjoyable as possible. She's likely booked in fare bucket(s) that upgrade with miles will not be possible and I don't want to separate her from her class anyway.

Her parents told me that my niece and her class are booked on Delta but I'm not sure if it's 100% DL metal.

Can I please get some suggestions on what I can get a 13 yrs girl old flying international? Ideally, things that I can get with the $200 AMEX Plat credit. :)

Thanks!

Ed

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure this should be in the DL forum, but here are some ideas...you may want to submit a report to have the thread moved to General Travel as more MP'ers will see it. :)

- Headphones
    - A good shoulder bag - some possibilities: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/shop/category/tote I know I use my timbuk2 bag all the time and it was well worth the $$ spent at REI. REI has other travel type bags too that are varied levels of girly. :)
    - If she uses iTunes, maybe some credit for music on her journey
    - Giftcard for clothing stores that she likes to get items for her trip.
    - Journal to document her trip.

philatravelgirl likes this.
  3. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking things like drink coupons, for example. Things that will enhance her in-flight experience that I know her parents will not be getting for her. But since she doesn't drink for obvious reason that's not going to help her much.

Meals and beverages will already be free. What about movies assuming there will be AVOD? Are they free on international flights? I've never had to pay for them doesn't mean she wouldn't. Are there such as thing as movie coupons or a pre-paid credit card will do?

4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    If her flight is on a plane with individual screens, most of the movies and a lot of the tv shows will be free.

Perhaps you could put her in an economy comfort seat? That ranges from $80-$150ish for each direction, depending on the route, and has typically been reimbursed under the $200/yr Amex Platinum airline program. If you go over $200, they're reimburse up to $200, so if it's $120 each way, and you did each segment separately, you'd see two charges for $120 and reimbursements of $120 and $80.

5. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I don't want to separate her from her group and chaperons because I think hanging out and getting to know her new friends is important for the overall experience. It sounds like I might be overthinking this and should just focus on getting her stuff for the trip.

6. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would get her a electric convertor, a guide book, or something from the Magellan's catalog which you can reach via the Delta Shopping Mall -- and keeps this part of this thread on topic. !

DTWBOB

7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    trivial but important get her one of those hidden money belts or neck things and tell her to use it UNDER her clothes and only keep small'amounts of money out.
    also photo her passport and leave in hotel safe if possible. nothing ruins a trip like pickpocketing or bag snatching and some places are notorius for this - coupled with a trusting, carefree 13 yo and you may well head off a disaater;)
    noise cancelling earphones (i like the sony ncr 22? earbuds which i last bought on ebay for less than$50), batteries last a long time, they're small and also useful on noisy trains, buses.

8. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good idea on the electric converter, DTWBOB. I am 100% certain her parents will not be getting her that. As a bonus, I can use it if it comes back in one piece if at all.

I doubt I can talk a very fashionable 13yrs old into wearing a money belt under her clothing but not a bad idea. Thanks for the reminder on the passport photo copy bit!

9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    the kind of money belt I mean is quite flat and unless she is bare midriff - not really noticeable. it only requires finding a quiet corner to turn your back, reach under top, to get out a larger amount of money if needed.
    I've seen some pretty upset people after being ripped off and one VERY ezp traveler posted a while ago about catching a hand IN her purse on the metro in Paris! there are more and more scams with people spilling stuff, etc to distract while partner steal from pocket, backpack,etc. these people are really skilled so my thought is to kee her safe and happy;)

10. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upgrade to Economy Comfort?

SkyClub Pass?

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    She should hang out with her classmates. Also, I think since she's underage, she can't get into the SC without a parent.

How about GoGo if she has a domestic connecting flight?

rwoman and DeltaExpert like this.
  12. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agreed... separating her from the group is not a good idea. She doesn't have a laptop and even if she does, there is no way her parents would let her bring it with her.

This is harder than I thought. It would be so much easier if she is over 21 and drink like a fish. Argh!

rwoman and DeltaExpert like this.
  13. tebfunk

tebfunk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you decided on anything yet? My nieces are 12 and 14, so I can understand your dilemma!

Right now they are really in to music, taking pictures, nail polish, clothes, and Justin Beiber. Does she have an iPod that her parents will let her bring? If not, a cheap Shuffle (in her favorite color, with her name engraved, to make you extra cool) is another idea.

You could also make her an "amenity kit" with things like funky socks, a little notebook and pen, mini nailpolish, chapstick (flavored!), iTunes gift card, etc. In addition to the long trip on the plane she'll probably also have a lot of time on the tour bus, so these types of things could really come in handy!

Ed Ip and rwoman like this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of some sort of cool carryon piece including travel stuff for the trip. Eyeshades, a travel alarm clock, a travel toothbrush, etc.

rwoman likes this.
  15. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sort of. I think she is ok with a concealed money strap of some kind...girls will be girls, she wants one with pretty patterns even though it is concealed. ;) Probably a power converter to keep her iPod charged. Aside from that, kind of striking out.

I really like the amenity kit idea. Great call on that!

16. tebfunk

tebfunk Silver Member

Status Points:
    :) You'll come up with a great gift eventually!

Honestly, I feel the same way about money belts as I do about travelers checks, in that they just seem like a hassle. I think a sturdy cross-body bag with a zipper and a flap works just as well, (ooh! There's another gift idea!) and is more in line with normal habits. You don't see Parisian women digging under their waistbands to make a purchase! I do think that a small coin purse is an excellent thing to take to Europe - seems Americans aren't ever quite prepared for all the coins!

Also, if your niece is on a school trip she will probably be avoiding many of the petty theft opportunities just by default (ie limited public transportation, will always be in a group, etc), so there is a much greater chance of her losing things than of them being taken. Is she accustomed to handling her own items/money? I have been on a lot of trips with "kids" of all ages who are used to having their parents as backup, and just leave things all over the place!

17. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agreed. This will be a real test for her -- no one is going nag at her and pick up after her and she will have to deal with her suitcase/bag/purse whenever they are not in transit. I told her if she can't carry it, she shouldn't bring it.

Great point on money handling, the honest answer is probably not. Having to dig into a purse in a store is very different than digging into a piggy bank at home. I am liking that cross body purse thing too, may be one of those with the anti-cutting strap? I'm thinking she should start wearing a purse now before the trip (60 days to go) just to get used to having one.

p.s. Where were you weeks ago when I started this thread?! lol

tebfunk likes this.
  18. tebfunk

tebfunk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha, sorry, I was lurking and missed this one until recently!

Do you live near each other? Because the best cross-body bag is going to be the one that she thinks is cool enough to actually use ;). The ones with the anti-cutting strap are helpful, but pretty dorky looking if you're 13. My current go-to travel bag is actually a leather "Men's City Bag" (whatever that means), but it has thick leather and canvas straps, fastens to the bag via sturdy metal hardware, etc. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this particular bag for a 13 year old unless she's really tall, but those are features that you can find on a lot of bags these days.

There's also a trend for tiny cross-body bags (like, checkbook-sized and smaller), and that could actually be more practical for her age. Some have chains wound with ribbon for straps, and they're slim enough that she could probably wear the strap under a layer, and even tuck the bag into her waistband or pocket if she's in a crowded area.

She's going to have such a good time! I went to Europe with my friends when I was 16 and had an absolute blast (of course, my parents sent me with a money belt, travelers checks, and a 65lb rolling suitcase, so I could probably have had a better trip, but . . . ;-) )

19. Redhead

Redhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    The coin purse is a great idea. Tons of coins used in Europe and you can get some cute ones

20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If she's traveling outside of the Eurozone, there are some cool coin purses with multiple pockets for coins from different countries (or just USA and the Euro). If the OP wants to spend a lot of money, visit a Hermes, etc. store and perhaps buy a tiny leather coin purse in a fun bright color such as neon green or cobalt blue. I've been told that yellow and pink are very fashionable this spring.

21. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kindle Fire and a Y splitter for headphones (add the fire to an Amazon acct with lots of apps and share them all with her)...she can share with her seatmate.

22. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    For starter, if I am going to get her something cool it would be an iPad -- I run a no-android-allowed household ;). Secondly, my expectation is pretty low of any electronics coming back in one piece so probably not a good idea.

23. chrisgayle885

chrisgayle885 Active Member

Status Points:
    I think good travel gears can be ideal for making her in-flight experiences as enjoyable and comfortable as possible. So gift her good travel gear which she can carry with ease. Recently, I gifted a backpack to my sister which I purchased from an online luggage store. It’s loaded with some great features to make her journey comfortable like top carry handles with leather wrap for tight grip, wheels makes carrying easy and many more.