Need Delta miles ASAP

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by ckgunn01, Jan 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. ckgunn01

ckgunn01 Active Member

Status Points:
    I hate sky pesos as much as anyone, but I have a trip in June where I can save a connection and 4+ hrs in a car with little kids on a trip for the family by flying delta. I've been so focused on AA and UR points (750k UR points and 1.2 mil AA) that my options for delta are not ideal. I wiped out my sky pesos to the tune of 4700 remaining. I have 126k Amex MR points. Flight for family is 220k skypesos or $3900. Any thoughts on how I can quickly get some pesos? I can apply for any delta card, but how long will that take? I have 160k cap one points and was thinking of buying 2 tickets and using points from MR total for other 2, but it would require a repeat app for cap one from my wife and I'm not sure about churning cap1. anyways, input is much appreciated.

Newscience, daninstl and Gargoyle like this.
  2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could any other Skyteam partners access that award inventory? (e.g. Korean SkyPass, which is a Chase UR transfer partner)

And I assume you've check other Chase UR transfer partners for non-Delta availability? (e.g. United MileagePlus)

ckgunn01, Newscience and daninstl like this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why the hate? Most or all points programs have value - best to have flexibility.

Skypass could be an option (is that transfer active again but I recall there being hoops to jumo through for redeeming for others.

Where are you saving the drive/connection? Maybe there are other possibilities?

ckgunn01, Newscience and daninstl like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is your looking at at least a 1 1/2 months for the delta card miles to arrive, mostly likely 2. You could get some more Amex points somehow or transfer some points from hotel programs but that's usually not great. It looks like you have about 130k out of 220k available so 90k should be do-able but you will be close in when you book. Can you book it through Amex points or some other method. $3,900 doesn't seem like a super high return rate for 220k in Amex points to me though.

ckgunn01 and Newscience like this.
  5. ckgunn01

ckgunn01 Active Member

Status Points:
    It's not the best possible value but 1.8 cents per point for a trip that I'm going on anyways is not bad. plus keeps $3900 in my wallet.

Thanks for the replies. Didn't think I had any good options. I'm going to use miles for 2 tickets and buy 2. I can use a gift card for 200 bucks and put the rest on cap1 card and use mileage eraser. Annual fee is due and if I wipe out the point balance, I'll just cancel and get the citi double cash to slowly build up cash back balance via buxx and serve. I don't use chase or amex for those things anyways.