Need BA AVIOS Points

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by euromannn, Jul 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    HI MY British Airways account needs AVIOS points by November 1, 2014 or I lose my AVIOS points.

I was hoping to buy an inexpensive gift on BA web site but most inexpensive gifts seem not listed.

I tunes used to be a gift and a few songs would have establish activity in my account BUT ITunes is no longer an option.

Can someone advise as the specific best item to just keep my account active without going on a flight or getting the BA credit card?

satman40, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any recent hotel stays planned where you can also get mileage credits into your BA account? Hilton Honors for example lets you double-dip both hotel points and airline miles for the same paid stay if you have your "MyWay" choice set that way. So a paid one-nighter somewhere would get a few BA miles to your account if you designate BA as your airline choice for miles accrual.

zshanlon, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Malta Points blog has an offer for 50 free Avios points for signing up with Iberian Air's Iberia Plus program and taking a quiz (answers provided in the blog). That should post in time.

As I understand it, once it posts you can transfer the Avios from that account to your BA account (I presume that's what you have your Avios in right now).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    zshanlon, satman40, iolaire and 3 others like this.
  4. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 100,000 Hilton Honors points.
    Any chance I can convert into AVIOS?

zshanlon, B1BomberVB and blackjack-21 like this.
  5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like HHonors doesn't offer a conversion feature to BA Avios, as it does for a few other airlines, and conversion rates are not very appealing anyway. So finding an inexpensive overnighter in one of Hilton's many branded properties may be the only way to get a quick few Avios points into your BA account if no other options are available. Just be sure that your BA Avios account is listed in your MyWay choices of airlines and you've chosen BA as your Preferred Airline PRIOR to your next stay.

There may be other options available to you, such as the one Counsellor pointed out, and you do have a bit of time left before the November date, so time to look around for a less expensive option to get a few points into your Avios account to keep it active.

Just don't wait until the very last minute to make a decision, as if the points don't post quickly enough you may have to jump through hoops to have your account reinstated.

You may want to practice your hoopjumping just in case. ;)

zshanlon, satman40 and euromannn like this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chase Sapphire Card can do the job for you. AMEX MR,

Should be no problem getting another CC before Nov.

Combine household accounts.

7. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    NOt a fan of more CCs.......just go the Fidelity AMEX and have Hilton AMEX which I wild top soon.
    I hope to keep the account active by a new purchase of something small as pointed out in earlier posts or I'll spend 15,000 AVIOS for a domestic trip to LA. I have 109,000 to play with and wish to hold onto some for a US_EUrope trip.

8. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    quiz answers[
    1. Myshoes
    2. La Panza es Primero
    3. All of the Above
    4. Cash Card

9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I moved my wife's account to a household account,

Guess you could give a friend a trip, November is still a ways off.

10. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:

DONE!!!!
    "Thank you!
    You will receive your Avios shortly. And the draw winners will be published in the next issue of the Iberia Plus Magazine. Good luck!"

Then I will need to transfer Iberia points into BA account.....

zshanlon, satman40 and blackjack-21 like this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad it worked out, been there.

zshanlon and euromannn like this.
  12. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    COunsellor,
    Thanks for the tip.

1. Do you know how long it takes to receive the 50 AVIOS points in this PROMO?
    2. How do I transfer to BA account?
    3. Will it matter that my birthday in Iberia account is different than BA when I attempt to transfer? I wasn't sure how much real info I wanted Iberia web site to have. No option to update profile on birth dates or name.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Counsellor likes this.
  13. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Iberia Plus program; I was just passing along what the blog said.

You might ask the questions on the "Other airlines - Europe " forum, or even on the "British Airlines" forum.

14. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Goldlust and euromannn like this.
  15. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    THanks.

Called Iberia and although you can't change the profile name/age after initial setup Iberia claims an email to them(not on their web site) will allow them to correct. Unfortunately, Iberia has no email address only twitter!
    Guess the language barrier is difficult even for them!

Please keep AVIOS points coming! HA!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  16. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would go with E-Rewards surveys.

17. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    E-rewards? Can you explain the option?

18. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well......Iberia stated AVIOs will post within 48 hours.
    After ONE week NO AVIOS points.

And to change my profile information.....IBERIA is demanding my passport. Told the the BRILLIANT Airline it's simpler to cancel the account and open a second instead of hassle sending in a passport copy.

Iberia takes ONE week to respond to emails! Scary!

19. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
  20. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure where I saw this on the E-rewards website, but be careful as I think in the case of BA Avios from E-rewards, you must be a UK member of BA. I had planned to get some Avios via the E-rewards exchange but noticed the comment about only for UK BA members, so didn't continue with the exchange. Read the rules carefully before you attempt that transfer.

21. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard as Blackjack mention AVIOS needed UK based participation to exchange but can't locate this online.

But I saw AMEX rewards might be transferable?
    I have a FIDO AMEX card and Hilton Honors AMEX card.......wondering if I can exchange these???

https://global.americanexpress.com/...Rewards.do?request_type=un_Rewards&Face=en_GB

blackjack-21 likes this.
  22. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My AMEX card with MR here in Canada offers a BA transfer on a 1:1 basis. If your card (don't know where your AMEX card is from) also has been registered for MR and shows BA as one of the miles transfer options, you're all set. Note that minimum transfer is 1,000 MR for 1,000 BA Avios, so may be more then you wanted to get, but it will keep your Avios account alive if no other options work.

euromannn likes this.
  23. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is MR? On Milepoint...MR=mileage Run. and now I found it ALSO:

Answer: Membership Rewards............

24. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    MR= Membership Rewards, which is available from AMEX but you have to sign up for that addition, if it's available with the card you have, and up here it costs an additional $50.00 plus tax a year, in addition to your regular card fee, so if you're not familiar with Amex Membership Rewards, my guess is you don't already have it with your Amex cards. That would have let you get the MR points from your dollar spend, and those points are transferrable to many airlines and hotels in varying amounts and percentages, and can be used for other rewards too.

It may be too late for you to go that route if you don't have that addition already, and may not even be possible depending on what AMEX card you have. Your Hilton Honors AMEX will get you Hilton points which can then be transferred to some airlines, but it appears that BA isn't one of them. However, a stay at any of Hilton's properties would get you a few BA Avios if you have your Hilton "MyWay" preferences set for BA as being your preferred airline, and including your BA Executive Club number in your BA listing amongst the airlines. This must be done PRIOR to your next stay, not afterwards, and you can then switch back to another airline to get miles into that account if you want to do so.

Counsellor likes this.
  25. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    And sometimes it's Marriott Rewards. Confusing, I know, but "which" is usually apparent from the context.

blackjack-21 likes this.