Need assistance planning award travel - Newbie here

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by cjneil, Oct 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. cjneil

cjneil Member

Status Points:
    This is all so complicated trying to figure out award flights, etc., especially to a newbie. I flew to Uganda this year on expanded coach for 24 hours in the air and it was brutal. I will be returning to Uganda in 2014, so far my dates are open but prefer Aug-Dec time frame. I would like to have at least one leg each way in Business class. In a perfect world, would like a week in Europe on return. I haven't been able to figure out how to do this....2 separate RT flights such as SEA-AMS and back and then AMS-EBB and back? I am thinking that way I could have a week stopover in Europe on return but also thinking this would be very expensive for award because it would costs 2 separate RT flights. I don't think I can do a stopover on return with just a single RT, this is where I need help!

I have 160,000 miles on Alaska. Obviously would prefer to fly on a partner airline for miles. I am MVP, which isn't much. I don't mind one leg each way being in expanded coach. Is any of this even possible? Would love any thoughts or direction, at all. You are all Pros at this!

Thank you for your time,
    CJ

Mirror74 likes this.
  2. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can do a stopover on a one-way international award in most cases, so you would only need one RT flight with stopover on the way back... it is now possible to search for flights in August and September 2013 and as far as I can see, only options with BA are widely available, for instance for 140k miles and 1200 USD fuel surcharges (yes, painful), you can go all way in C and have a stopover on the way back...

cjneil likes this.
  3. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    From the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan page:

"Mileage Plan awards may include one of the following: a one-way, round-trip or open jaw itinerary. One en-route stopover for each one-way award on international itineraries. When award travel is redeemed solely on Alaska Airlines, one enroute stopover is allowed on each one-way award."

So it looks like you're allowed one stopover on each one-way award (and presumable only one stopover on a round-trip award), and that you could book the trip either as two one-way awards, or one round trip (including open-jaw) award (whichever works best). So lots of flexibility!

Just don't book on British Airways if you can help it. because their fuel surcharges will probably be huge. Use other Oneworld partners whenever possible.

cjneil likes this.
  4. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Besides BA, also KLM flies to EBB from AMS... on their A330...

cjneil likes this.
  5. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point - I should have said use other Alaska partners, which include Delta, Air France, and KLM. Just stay away from British Airways!

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or Emirates via DXB. It would require an overnight in Dubai but it is possible. You could use a different partner for the other direction via Europe with the stopover.

cjneil likes this.
  7. cjneil

cjneil Member

Status Points:
    Thank you so much! Yes, last year I flew on KLM which wasn't bad at all, though I flew on a paid ticket vs miles because there was a $1200RT fare, at the time, so it seemed crazy to use miles. The trip was very long though with only 2 hour layover in AMS and 1 hour in Nairobi so I was literally a walking zombie when I arrived. I appreciate all of your advice so very much.

CJ