Need advice on how long to wait to purchase tickets

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by brucewil, Jun 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I will be taking advantage of the 50K biz class award next month from BOS/DUB. We need positioning flights to/from BOS/PHL. There has been no coach award availability on US/AA even though the planes are empty according to seat alerts on EF. The fares to purchase at the time of day we would want to fly are too high compared to the cheaper times of the same day. (Prices vary from $60 to $192 one way). I would like to use Avios to book, or purchase a $60-90 one way. With 4 weeks to go, what are the chances of 2 award seats opening, or fares dropping on the flight times we would want? Out of 9 possible flights, the planes are 20% full at most. Some flights have only have 2-6 seats taken as of today.

As an aside, last month we purchased the same BOS/PHL flights for October 2015 for $128 RT. That price was the same throughout the day regardless of which flights we chose.

satman40 likes this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not extend the trip? Get the best price for an earlier same day flug and relax in the lounge or a day earlier and overnight in BOS? It will remove the same day connection tension, have flexibility for IRROPs and you will be more refreshed.

KenInEscazu and satman40 like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not call AA Advantage Desk, and ask them, I have found them helpful.

brucewil likes this.
  4. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since I have my own business, it costs me more to not work than the few hundred dollar difference in the combined fares. We were planning on leaving plenty of time for the cnx, maybe even going to dinner at Reno's near the airport. I just don't want to lose an entire departure day in the office and we don't want return back into PHL at 10pm and go to work the next morning.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  5. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will call this morning. Thanks for the suggestion. I did not think they would open up award seats for us, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask!

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  6. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that you have a slave driver as a boss:D but threw the suggestion out anyway.

brucewil likes this.
  7. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want to book the award flights with 9000 Avios each though. Isn't the Aadvantage desk going to want me to use 25K AA miles each? Would rather paythe ridiculous $300 each than use my AA miles.

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using Avios .. why would you call AA anyway? In any event the chances of the fare dropping are greater than AA making awards available (and show up on BA) a quick look shows awards for the month of July only available on Thurs and only on the 1st, 7th, 16th and 30th which suggests a high demand period so I would bet against fares falling with only about a month to go.

brucewil likes this.
  9. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no experience in predicting prices or award space, so I defer to much more experienced fliers like yourself.

Of the 4 possible outbound flights as of today only 63 out of 336 seats are taken. On the inbound the flights are even emptier. Of the 5 possible flights only 36 of 408 seats are currently taken. Still no chance of award space opening for BA or prices dropping?

I just hate paying $300 each RT for a 1 hr flight to BOS, especially when I have the same flight for Oct already booked for $128.

10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just buy the tickets. Or if the fares are one way, buy the outbound and keep hoping for an award on the return.

brucewil likes this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    What day of the week are you wanting to travel? A quick look on the ITA site for the entire month of July shows JetBlue has flights mostly at $137 a few days higher at $155 and some Sundays
    at $185 the highest being $211 only on Sun 7/19 (plus $200 on 7/2 which is understandable being just before the holiday weekend)

12. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just purchased the tix. AA/US on the outbound and JetBlue on the inbound. Around $210

Thanks everyone for the advice. This was a good compromise of price and schedules. I can still work the morning of the outbound without having to rush and make a cnx. On the return, the layover isn't too bad and we get back to PHL at a reasonable hour.

I guess 9000 Avios on AA with perfect times would have been only slightly better. Not worth waiting at this point.

13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had a recent USCAP Confrence in Boston, I was tempted to do the trip also,

I'd just pay the price and enjoy the trip....one thing about the trip of life, you do not get a second chance...it is final when the last trip is taken...

There is an AA ORD/DUB flight, doubt you will see a 128 RT feeder flight..

Enjoy the trip...love to see a trip report...

14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has taken me a long time to learn this, but I have finally determined that comfortable, convenient travel is worth more to me than a fare difference. I, too, work for myself. Even though I have plenty of good employees, none of them care as much or work as hard as I do. It's just human nature.

I'll now pay to avoid the CPU lottery and guarantee my checked luggage count, too. The older I get, the more it hurts (literally) to sit in the back, and if I'm spending money to visit customers, I want to arrive as well rested as possible. Equally true if I ever take another vacation. Yeah... I, too, work for a slave driver. ;)

flyforawg likes this.