need advice on chruning..

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by qamar, Mar 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. qamar

qamar New Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone! I am new to frequent flyer miles, in perticular with credit card. I got aprroved for a chase sapphire card, which is offers 40000 points when you spend 3000 in the first month. I want to rack up the most points as I can, as i am going to a trip to india. I know a lot of buy the vanilla prepaid cards and go down that road, but i dont fully understand how you use those to pay off your credit card. I have been reading a lot anf am feeling a bit overwhelmed, so any help/advicr would be great.

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's understandable to feel overwhelmed, if you try to absorb too much information, much of which may not even be pertinent to your immediate interests. I would recommend that you prioritize based on your immediate goals. For example, if you want to buy airfare to India with miles, research the flight options to decide if you want to start collecting those miles.

Likewise you may gradually find other subjects useful and pertinent to you. Don't try to copy whatever you read, until you are perfectly clear how it will work for you.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  3. fyfedog

fyfedog Silver Member

Status Points:
    This isn't much of a secret anymore - go to the blogs (any of them) and there are step by step instructions here - you need a Bluebird or Serve card from Amex

satman40 and John Deere like this.
  4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    type "million mile secrets bluebird" into Google. That'll get you started.

5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When everyone jumps in the miles required will increase, and the game will get rougher, and only the tougher will play....

20% will have 80% of the miles! rest just BS type

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    daninstl likes this.
  6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you think got the OP overwhelmed in the first place? ;)
    He might feel pressured to do something without understanding the reason for it.
    It might be better to learn each method when the need arises, and at his own pace.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...r-on-the-vanilla-reload-bluebird-thing.82492/

8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    40,000 and $3,000 spend is not a lot, in fact it is nothing.

Only $1,000 a month. Real cc spending,

If you need MS to get there, go back to square one,

They do have FTU next month, be a good place to start, and protect your credit,

Do not spend it if you can not pay it in full every month. Rule # 1

If you can not do rule # 1. Forget It...

Forget the Beans, and look to Serve, easier to find..and all will soon be cash only...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. The Vanilla Reloads, etc. route seems like a good way but there is a learning curve involved. $3k isn't a lot. Just put all your regular normal everyday spending on that card. Everything from gas and groceries to the cable bill and apartment rent and car insurance payments. It will happen in no time. When you get close to the $3k, apply for the next miles or points card that will feed your goal. For example if you are after AA miles don't get a Delta card get another AA card or a card where you can transfer those points into miles in the program you need. You will only need to manufacture spend (MS) on the big spend requirement cards.

Also see rule #1 above. I pay the card off weekly just to stay safe.

I'd say rule #3 is don't ever, ever buy anything you don't have money in your bank account to pay for right then or anything you wouldn't have been buying with cash if you had it in your pocket.

satman40 likes this.
  10. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    And... the VR thing is dead now anyway (maybe). The most common location to buy VR's was at CVS, and in theory they are now only allowing cash to purchase them. You might want to find something else to learn on.

satman40 likes this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We said earlier, do not rely on MS, short term AA EX card pay your taxes with CC. Amazon Payments will give you a 1,000 hit, Nothing wrong with a Grocery or Gas pre paid.

If you have a 3.000 take home income it is going to be hard, unless you work at it, make it fun get in the 20%, and make it fun, or go home and BS yourself, be a dreamer not a do it type...

No one likes the truth. It can be done...