Need advice on best Business class product in One World

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by unclesam, Sep 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. unclesam

unclesam Active Member

Status Points:
    I will be flying Business class from DFW to DEL and returning back from BOM to ORD and wanted advice on which one world airline(s) I should choose that offer the best product. Another consideration is that I would like to do it in 3 segments each way (instead of 2) without increasing the travel time tremendously. Third consideration (less important than ones already mentioned above) is accumulation of potential bonus miles.

jbcarioca, rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA is the most obvious choice for this trip. You will be pleased with their j service.

Since this is paid travel, you could also consider jl or cx, traveling across the pacific instead of the Atlantic. Sometimes jl or cx have competitive fares to the subcontinent from the US (though not always). This would be more miles than an Atlantic routing, by a bit.

While there are subtleties between them, each of cx, jl and BA all offer an attractive j product...each far superior to AA's.

jbcarioca, rwoman, Toula and 2 others like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about a mix of BA and 9W then CX for the return trip? 9W earns miles on AA.

4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA...just kidding! I'd have to agree with NYBanker, but I'd side with BA/CX first.

jbcarioca, rwoman and NYBanker like this.
  5. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would avoid AA with a passion. Suggestion would be to Fly BA across the Atlantic and then choose Kingfisher which will be part of OW soon. If that can't be done stick with BA. I would avoid going the pacific route unless you feel like stopping for vacation in Hkg.

6. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pacific route is ~500 miles longer but would prefer CX J over BA J.

jbcarioca, rwoman, zpaul and 3 others like this.
  7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't argue with this.

jbcarioca, rwoman and NYBanker like this.
  8. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1, I've flown both airlines, albeit in coach, but definitely preferred CX

jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  9. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    How does LAN's BusinessFirst compare to CX and BA J?

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    LA has one of the best J hard-products I've flown (which include AA, AY, BA, CO, FI, IB, QF, and UA but not CX) - I will go out of my way to fly LA whenever possible. LAN's ground and customer service can be hit-and-miss, but for a good bed, good food and good in-flight service I think they're among the best.

Currently, LAN is actively removing two rows of J seats from their 767 fleet (from 30 to 18 seats in a 2x2x2 config), so fares will probably climb. At this point only LAN group's XL and LP seem to be affected, but it's coming for L4 and LA.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. eae

eae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless you get the very latest version of the CX J seat (reverse herringbone) I much prefer BA. The old CX J seats (coffins) are very narrow and not being able to see out the window is annoying.

jbcarioca and zpaul like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    By a very, very long margin I agree. Changing planes in HKG lets you use The Wing, still the best lounge going in my book. I have done those trips many times and almost always opt for Pacific. The trips themselves are more, well, pacific too, because the passengers tend to be a trifle less manic than the trans-Atlantic ones are.

zpaul likes this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    LA J is IMO the best in OW, better than CX in the air. zpaul knows it well, and I agree the ground service is hit or miss. In flight, delightful.

One rarely used but potentially attractive option is JFK-SCL-SYD-HKG-DEL. There are often good fares, and it is definitely more adventurous than the other choices. It nicely fits RTW fares, which usually save money, but these make sense only if you really would like a couple stopovers. This gives you the chance to sample the OW two best J products LA and CX.

zpaul likes this.
  14. eae

eae Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can get a flight with the new CX J seat then the CX TPAC routing wins hands down. Their catering, entertainment system and lounges are all up there with the best.

15. eae

eae Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is one crazy route. Are there really fares filed for it?

zpaul likes this.
  16. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. You don't think everybody down here goes everywhere vía the US and/or Europe? ;) The US visa process alone is enough trouble for many to take the Antarctic route. It's unique, but very doable - give it a try!

17. eae

eae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps I should, thanks!

18. BrewerSEA

BrewerSEA Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be honest I was was very underwhelmed by my recent experience on LP J EZE-LIM-LAX. Perhaps part of it is a product of being sandwiched between AA and BA international F. The seat is very good and I love how open the cabins are. The fact that they were half or more empty also helped. I slept 7 hours across the 13 hours of flying which is a very good endorsement of the seat IMO. I found the service very poor but that could easily be a bad crew so I wouldn't rate that. The food was okay, not great, but the wines were good. They ran out of pisco sours before I had the chance to try one :(

zpaul likes this.
  19. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the the pre-flight pisco sours are the only reason to book LP over LA, or a flight with an escala in Lima!!!

I think the hard product is excellent, better than any BA J class seat I've been in (though I haven't been in the "new" J on BA yet) and far better than AA's slanted/flat seat. Service always makes me nervous before my flight - it's a crap shoot.

20. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everybody loves to love Lan's J product but to be completely honest I'm not that wowed by it. It's fine, but IMO not worth all the raves. Maybe it's like BA's - when it's good it's very good, and when it's bad it's bleh. As in all things, YMMV.

BrewerSEA and zpaul like this.