Need advice on 10k mileage run

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by CEO, Oct 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. CEO

CEO Active Member

Status Points:
    I am Denver based and most of my travel is to either RIC or SNA with ocasional trips to other cities. Based on my current travel plans, I wll finish 2012 with 65,967 PQM. I am willing to do a 10K mileage run to achieve Platinum status if it makes sense. Two questions for the forum:
    1) Is Platinum status worth the time, effort and $$ of a mileage run?
    2) Does anone have any suggestions for a mid December run? I'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck and don't realy care about the destination.

I only started flying United twelve months ago and am still learning the ropes. Thanks in advance for your advice.

8MiHi and Kalboz like this.
  2. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    For some reason, seems like a lot of good MR possibilities to Hawaii lately. Though for 10k miles, you might be better off taking a Europe run, especially given the time of year.

I can't comment on Gold vs. Plat - I've got neither :)

By the way, welcome to Milepoint (from a fellow DENverite)

8MiHi and Kalboz like this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    For what it's worth, I'm 1K for 2013 and don't even think that's worth a lot with United right now.

Out of Denver for a quick 10k, I'd do the LH DEN-FRA flight....if you can take LH Y for 10 hours each way.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it really depends on how you use it :)

For me the main benefits of Plat over Gold would be

- 25% extra RDM bonus next year. So the OP flies 60,000 miles again next, that's an extra 15k RDM.
    - fee waivers on award tickets

The fee waivers could easily make it worthwhile to spend money on the MR if the OP is planning to book awards next year and requires flexibility.

There's also a higher upgrade priority, but that wouldn't be worth it for me personally.

By the way, similar thread here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/buying-miles-to-achieve-gold-status.47549/ (about achieving Gold, but similar arguments)

8MiHi, NYCUA1K and traveltoomuch like this.
  5. CEO

CEO Active Member

Status Points:
    DEN-AMS is actually cheaper than DEN-FRA and gives me more miles, but the fare of $1091 is too rich on a CPM basis. Working on a hack to bring down the price.

8MiHi, hulagrrl210 and Kalboz like this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about something to South America for some warmer weather, doubt it is cheaper though. DEN to FCO might? Be cheaper than FRA.

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very true.

For me, I'm in it for the upgrades, I have plenty of miles.

Another reason I'm flying AA right now.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a 50/75k customer or EXP? The system at AA is VERY different, especially below 100k.

9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the OP is going to be that close anyway just buy a few extra PEQM's on the flights already booked. Then you either have the 75k or just need to do a short MR later.

10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was about 4000 miles short last year, so I booked a MR to cover it. That cost me about $225 + 1 night's hotel. Before the end of the year, I had a schedule change that put me 1000 miles short even WITH the MR, so I added another 1000 mile run at $100 and no hotel needed.

That was a lot of work and time wasted, but being Platinum payed off enough that I would do it again in the same situation. 10,000 miles is considerably more, and prices are much higher this year. While Platinum is better for all the reasons mentioned here, it is really a personal decision based on your personal time schedule and budget.

To relate personally received value, my travel is much heavier now than at any time in my life, so I'm already 1K this year. That means that I've received over 19,000 more RDMs getting here than I would have as Gold. That's almost enough for one of my regular SJO-BOG-SJO runs. That's a $900 value that I paid about $375 for, not counting my time. YMMV, but going out of my way to reach a close threshold of status measurement was beneficial to this FF.

I'm also not imagining it when I say that I am treated better with each increase in status along the way. Not that I was ever treated poorly (in general, that is) at any Premier level, but they really do seem to go out of their way now to thank me for flying United so often, and they work a little harder to find solutions to my challenges.

11. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a tough call. I expect to face the same question in years to come (I'm a long-time 1K, looking at Plat for 2013, but also getting my 1MM in 2013). HaveMilesWillTravel enumerates the differences well. I probably would not do it.

As for where to go, remember that int'l trips incur more fees (customs and immigration user fees, etc.) than purely domestic tickets, which is part of what drives up the cost. A couple of long domestic turns might be a better answer. If you could do a DEN-SFO-eastcoast or DEN-LAX-east, that would do the trick.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any chance UA comes out with the same bonus incentive program they had last year? Don't quote me, but I think it was either Double or Triple miles from certain hubs to another (e.g. ORD to LAX; LAX to IAD). The linchpin was LAX had to be in the mix in order to qualify.

I'm in the same pickle but around 12,500k by years end. Thinking of a DIA/SEA/NRT round trip with bonus should do it.

13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best not to count on it, imho.

14. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed!

15. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I recall correctly, that was a competitive response to an AA offer of same. UA didn't initiate it, but matched it.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And AA was matching VX when it started.

17. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Plus you had to be a resident of Tx,Ca or Il to get the double miles between ord,sfo,lax,dfw. Everybody got double eqm's for a while but you had to be a resident to stack them.